Spaces & Values: how God, Law and Landed Interests are situated in London's EC2
- When: 8th September, 2012
- Where: EC2
- Why: This teaser event anticipates a series of walking tours and events that will feed into Critical Practice's ongoing Research on Value
- What: Three walking tours/discussions, back to back. Each tour will be lead by a specific 'Broker' and explore how different social practices of evaluation, are situated, localized and embedded in particular places, buildings, public spaces and institutions. We will perambulate around the heart of the City of London, unpicking notions of God, law and real estate speculation, while sharing our Brokers' situated expertise.
- How: The walking-tour format aims to investigate the specific situation of God, art and landed interests in EC2: we might wander through St. Paul's Cathedral, St. Bart's Hospital or The Bank of England. Each walk will last an hour and a half, and comprise a combination of prepared tour, and animated discussion.
- Who: Critical Practice is a cluster of individual artists, researchers, academics and others, supported by Chelsea College of Art & Design, London. Through our Aims we intend to support critical practice within art, the field of culture and organization. We have a longstanding interest in public goods, spaces, services and knowledge, and a track record of producing original participatory events, like PARADE (2008-2010). This international series of events explored the disagreeable, contentious, exhilarating, messy, efficient, live, improvisatory and provisional nature of 'Being in Public'.
list of potential contributors, spaces and values
We begin by generating a list of potential contributors, spaces and values on a graspable scale of one day/three walks.
Started: March 18th, 2012
- Growing List of brokers, which is a generative, brain-storming type list.
- Short list of brokers with enthusiasm index
- Nominations for reserve Brokers
List of themes to be addressed by ‘The Brokers’ in their walks
Please add to the list - would be good to have 5 themes, so we can cross reference..........comparative knowledge. Started: March 18, 2012. Extended to the 15th July for September walk.
- Follow up email for the Brokers and participants
Running order for the day
10.45am - Group assemble at Temple Station
11am - Jack Tan meets the group and begins the first walk
12.30pm - Jack leaves the group near St Paul's Cathedral
12.30 pm - 1.00pm - 30 min break in Starbucks, St Paul's Church Yard
1.00pm - Warwick Hawkins meets the group from the steps of St Paul's Cathedral and guides the group on the second walk
2.30pm - Warwick leaves the group at Moorgate Station
2.30pm - 3.30pm - 1 hour break in the Moorgate area*
3.30pm - Owen Hatherley meets the group from Moorgate Station and guides the group on the final walk
5.00pm - Finish
- Map of the area Map of EC2
- No booking has been made in the Moorgate area for the group. There are a few establishments open at the weekend, a small Cafe Nero, a very nice Eat (although they have no toilet), All Bar One, Starbucks and Marks and Spencers for those who would like to buy food and eat it in the Square weather permitting. Liverpool Street is also very close.
Participants are advised to wear comfortable walking shoes and to bring an umbrella in case it rains. It might be a good idea to bring a small bottle of water although there will be 2 breaks.
The event will be documented but guests are welcome to bring cameras of their own.