Meeting Minutes 05 May 2015

From Critical Practice Chelsea
Jump to: navigation, search
DATE Tuesday 5th of May 2015
LOCATION Sofaville, 5.30pm till 5:30 in E Block, Chelsea College of Arts, Millbank

A-TTEN-DANCE: Karem, Neil, Marsha, Denise, Angela and Claire.
APOLOGIES: Amy, Metod, Kub, Sissu and Eva

  • This was actually a really FUN meeting--and we got stuff done. Must be been the double-fisted combination of wine and tea.

CHAIR:Karem and Marsha
MINUTES:Marsha


Item 1: Reportbacks on action points from previous meeting

Please see the final item in these minutes, where next actions are made plain.

Item 2: Outstanding Projects

To discuss: What projects remain outstanding? What are we going to table until #TransActing is over and what are we going to wrap?
Differently Screening series - What's outstanding?
Screening curated by Basia Lewandowska Cummings @ Common House but couldn't find the time/energy.
Metod's screening was scheduled for 7 February 2015 but never happened... We were talking about watching Everything is a Remix. Is this something we want to do in anticipation of the Market...or?
Banner of Values - What still needs to be done?
It would be good to get this tied off and maybe do a bit of debrief, no? Who is up for it and when? Is there news from Amy (in Venice) and Catherine (working on PhD) - Marsha emailed them early this morning – We heard back…but we need a date. Encourage Amy
Any other projects?
We can't think of any others...

Item 3: #TransActing Invite Letter

To discuss: Please find the letter here. What to do about fonts? In a nutshell, Roboto OTF font isn't a default font in Word, and so many of us will have to download onto our computer. (Metod has sent the font.) Marsha can't seem to make it work and others will likely have similar issues. What are our options? Could Metod walk us through the download process? Perhaps do it now? Or could we use Helvetica/Arial instead, as they're more universal? Marsha and Metod have been discussing this but given all the care and attention we've languished on our graphic identity, it could be one for the group.
Marsha will put a copy of the document on Google Docs. She'll also be meeting with Metod on Wednesday and will try to figure out if downloading is possible... There's a general sense that it's ludicrous that Word compatibility is dictating our font usage. But then again, can't we find something that's more universal?

Item 4: TransActing Open Call

To discuss: Marsha's draft of the TransActing Open Call. Let's read through it together and determine what's missing. Question about fonts and fields. Please note the deadline to sign off on this is 8th May 2015.
We begin to read through together but realise there's not enough time. It's agreed that our 1K that's dedicated to the open call will be distributed among 10 applicants...so 10 x 100 = 1000.00. We'll encourage others besides but won't be able to support them with infrastructure. We discuss the form and it makes sense for Marsha to workshop and then receive feedback.

Item 5: Keeping track of TransActing Invitations/Confirmations

To discuss: Could we agree to fill in the table on this page, as and when? Do we want to list people on our press?
We agree to fill in the table. Marsha's version, while functional, is also cumbersome and may alienate newbie wiki users. Neil agrees to streamline.

Item 6: Using the Wiki to organise/promote Transacting

To discuss: In our last meeting we spoke briefly (though it's not obviously minuted) about redesigning the Wiki's homepage to make it more accessible for those unfamiliar with CP's shonky aesthetics. What is the next action on this?
Also, please link all #TransActing pages back to the Market of Values one
The feedback we're received is that the wiki is, sadly, impenetrable for people who weren't involved with its development and/or use its protocols on a regular basis. We agree to create space in our next general Market meeting to streamline the front page. Angela has people on whom we can test its accessibility. MARVELLOUS!

Item 7: Logos on/for #TransActing

To discuss: It is a condition of the ACE money that we use their logos on our publicity material. What other logos will we agree to use? What logos don't we agree to use?
We agree that if people/organisations give us money, their logos feature on our material. (Of course we'll be selective about the money we accept!) NB: Marsha and Metod met via skype on 6th May and are wondering: Could it also extend to people who receive funding to attend the Market?

Item 8: Press for TransActing|Press and Publicity for #TransActing

To discuss: publicising the event - If we don't invite people/spread the word, they won't come and the Market won't have a milling crowd. What publicity strategies have been the most effective in the past? Which ones aren't worth our time and attention? Also, we need good images for the publicity and flyers. Neil suggests the ones from Parade. Marsha thinks they're a bit tired and wonders if others don't have suggestions.What about social media?
  • Facebook - how best to do this?
  • Twitter
  • And???
Also, we want people involved in the Market to invite friends, family, etc. How to facilitate this?
We agree we want an e-flyer and there's money from ACE for this. A hardcopy too. This will be a tool for people to invite friends and family, etc. Further, Claire will talk to Wendy about publicity--perhaps the Guardian can do a feature (yes, it's going to be that good!), Further, we decide to invite Wendy to a meeting. She's asked about coming before!
Metod agrees to get onto Facebook, Twitter, etc. He'll look at what we've already got going and go from there.

Item 9: Open Budget

To discuss: Marsha is pleased to announced that we've secured the first payment of ACE money - 13,500.00. Do we want to setup an open budget? Are we all up for using because otherwise, it won't work. If we're game, what are the protocols? Could Neil perhaps offer a refresher?
We agree to a mixed approach: Claire will wet up a Google Doc spreadsheet that's programmed for easy calculations; Neil will set up a budget table on the wiki were can indicate where the money is going in broader strokes.

Item 10: Publication Working Group

To discuss: Reportback on various threads and developments - also, getting something ready to distribute at the Market...Where are we with this?
We don't really discuss this, preferring to leave it to the Working Group. They're meeting on the 11th May 2015...

Item 11: Any Other Business (AOB)

To discuss: NONE

Some of these actions were hangovers from the last meeting...

  • ACTION: Claire to find out from workshops about storage of materials post-degree show. Angela also suggests the back of the morgue.
  • ACTION: Neil to followup with Textiles Environment Design...potentially exploring possible usage of textiles as unifying factor for the market, perhaps on the CP-crafted stalls. done, TED are keen, follow-up meet on 21st May
  • ACTION: Everyone to contribute to the page that Amy set up in anticipation of our workshop with Andreas. Public Works Workshop, 23rd May. DEADLINE: 15th May 2015
  • ACTION: Marsha/Kuba to talk chat to Andreas about where best the workshop might unfold. We're thinking Hackney Wick where public works is based might be nice?
  • ACTION: Marsha/Claire to confirm the metal security meridians/dividers are still available - they'll do this in their meeting with Kelly on Friday.
  • ACTION: Claire will speak to Wendy and Kelly about the Risk Assessment form.
  • ACTION: Marsha and Claire to Meet with Kelly Palmer - Marsha has scheduled a meeting with Kelly for 8th May at 2:00. She's putting together an agenda here. Suggestions welcome.
  • ACTION: Marsha to send Ken and Colin info on the Market
  • ACTION: Marsha to develop the Open Call application form
  • ACTION: Marsha to format the Invitation Letter
  • ACTION: Marsha to explore discarded materials from the degree show
  • ACTION: Marsha to email Amy and Catherine about getting a date to complete the Banner of Values
  • ACTION: Amy and/or Catherine to schedule a date to complete the Banner of Values
  • ACTION: Neil to streamline table on TransActing Invitations/Confirmations
  • ACTION: Claire to talk to Wendy about publicity--perhaps the Guardian can do a feature?
  • ACTION: When would it be most appropriate for Wendy to attend a meeting? Claire to liaise...
  • ACTION: Metod to mobilise CP's Facebook presence...Twitter...etc...
  • ACTION: Claire to set up Google doc spread sheet with formulas
  • ACTION: Neil to set up TransAction Budgets for the market, to indicate spending broad strokes

Here are the minutes from the last meeting


return to TransActing: A Market of Values or Agendas