Minutes 15 04 2010

From Critical Practice Chelsea
Jump to: navigation, search

Where: Chelsea, 2:00-5:15 In Attendance: Neil Cummings, Ken Wilder, Ewelina Warner, Marsha Bradfield, Mike Knowles, Scott Schwager, Kuba Szreder, Takako Hasegawa, Michaela Ross
Chair: Neil
Minutes: Marsha and Scott:
Find the agenda here

ACTIONS:

  • Mike will come back to us with the costing on April 22, 2010
  • All to feedback on tool to Michal by Friday, April 16, 2010
  • Kuba to contact Public Works
  • Marsha to approach ICFAR about money for documentation
  • Marsha to contact Joanna
  • Marsha to contact Julie about the Knot Barcamp details
  • All to continue confirming contributors to the market
  • Sharpen the barcamp themes: deadline - April 23, 2010.

Food: discussed with Mike Knowles

  • Assembly will be chaotic - won't be heavily structured (emergent); we'll let the thing form and reform...
  • Mike knows about the supply chain and the impact it has - ethic of not depleting the public domain
  • We could decide to advance the capital
  • People will be quite active in the morning and afternoon - Mike's thinking of a structure - for people receive food - should be recursive - experience of the receiving the meal should work with the themes of the day while also be relaxing
  • Getting people together to congregate to eat = already a discursive of the public
  • Would be a day's prep and then the morning of the day plus R&D time...and Mike's other partners need help to be paid and we will need to access to a kitchen - can't cook from house - practical bind - two-ring cooker
  • Cooking in public? Cook outside
  • Would we like to cook together? At the end of the day...And we'd have snacks to tide people over?
  • Running water - available from the inside
  • Mike is an artist and he's being commissioned
  • We agree we should aim to eat at 1:00 - Mike needs to leave at 3:30
  • Possibility of doing prep in public - on the Friday evening - or not...Doing it live and in public would be ideal.
  • Where will the money come from? Which aspect of the budget.
  • We agree that Mike comes back with a more accurate costing and plan and we can make a decision
  • Come back with costing for the plates, drinks and food and that's broken down - We'll hear from Mike by April 22, 2010
  • Mike: If it rains? Service/plates?
  • Neil: You’ll be dry.

Item 1: Customization of Parade

  • Neil demonstrated the tool on mac.
  • Ken: It’s just one way of preparing a plan.
  • Marsha: We’re stuck on the paint tool.
  • It was decided to return to this at the end - though we never managed to get back to it owing to time constraints

Item 2: Crates for structure

  • Neil spoke to Eric, £0.90p is the higher rate per crate for expenses for two weeks. Total around £6000. Eric can supply 40,000 cable ties at that price included.
  • Payment on collection.
  • Ken: What’s the cost if any go missing? He will have them manufactured and then has a buyer for them after we use them, in November.
  • Neil: It will be the crate shown and black.
  • Ken: Are we going to deal with the customizing of the chairs.
  • Scott: Crates are like seeds. Or roots. Could think of this as if building a rhizome or spreading seeds. One follow on of the market of ideas is that the crates are distributed after. They will go into the real market bringing their birth in the history of idea and for the market of ideas with them. One idea, with a small amount of work, would be to customise the crates. Maybe we could facilitate customizing such as with tags, spray, imprint.
  • Marsha: Would you like to facilitate this Scott?
  • Scott: It’s an initial idea I’ve mentioned and I’m happy to work with others to make it happen some how.
  • Tokako:This year’s theme is going to be performance or theatre. Can the workshop come up with the suitable structure for the theatre idea?
  • Ken: I think quite a few groups would want to reconstruct the crates and that could even be part of the experience.
  • Kuba: Polish architects would like to have some of the column’s fixed to create a kind of grid on which to customize own stalls or seminars. Maybe Ken could feed back to them that it’s important for them to consider that we cannot accept that so many go into the grid and that we need 30-40 stalls not 7-8 tables.
  • Tokako: It’s nice as it’s a market of ideas for the theatre to be able to come up with what it needs as well.
  • Ken: The other way of customizing them it to put things in them because they have all the gaps
  • Kuba: Ola said she wants to know how exactly the process of building is envisioned. I have the feeling the architects will have a plan for the process of building.
  • Ken: are the stalls relating and in a grid.
  • Neil: We are talking about two things. The market of ideas is a flatter horizontal thing.

Item 3: Marsha’s 5 minute intervention

  • In the word’s of Abba I have a dream, a song to sing …. What is the impulse behind it and why …
  • Kuba remembers thinking of this around a year and a half ago.
  • Marsha: It was called public space.
  • Kuba: It was the moment when I was trying to ... Polish Year. 2008. I was quite fresh after the experience of making passengers. Then we started to envision how it could grow. To shape public. Being public. Not to copy modes of public assembly.
  • Neil read from minutes of the previous meeting where the idea was conceived in October 2008
  • Neil: I have strong images of assembling, disassembling.
  • Ken: For me, it's aggregating. But taking on Scott’s idea, it’s the fact that it’s from a material from the real world that goes back into the real world.
  • Kuba: Constructing an environment that’s facilitating a more horizontal exchange. More of an event than conference. That we also shape the public space. Then think about the architecture that hosts it. Not only about what we talk but how. Self emergence.
  • Michaela: This idea of dispersal. What happens afterwards, what’s understood through the shaping of this type of event.
  • Kuba: Could we have a point in the agenda about what happens afterwards.
  • Marsha brought up the the earlier idea of a carnival. Also, that someone wants to be a part of Parade and know: can they do something like break into Chelsea College?
  • Neil: "No." We’re going to organise a great conference in the middle of the Parade. What’s there to protest about.

Item 4: Discuss contributors to Parade

  • Neil: We have 20 people confirmed
  • Marsha: We can spend 5 minutes after to show wiki RE contributors to parade
  • Takako: Is there some indication of materials that the architects would dislike
  • Kuba: Customization gives an idea of how it functions. If we have 30 crates per stall. But some people may want more or fewer.
  • Neil: Crates can’t be damaged.
  • Scott: Could have a stall where provide numbers and if people want can put them on the crates and then put the numbers on a website, like Paradenumbers and then
  • Kuba: Could we give Public Works some money for transport.
  • £150 yes.
  • Malcolm Quinn yes.
  • Geoff Cox would like to come and it fits with interest in Code and Conflict.
  • Microsillons would like a stall. Should we offer them a stall.
  • Kuba: David Peers: are they allowed to sell anything if it’s connected with the ideas?
  • Neil: We want those whose commerce is related to the themes.
  • Neil: We don’t have any urbanists, geographers etc. confirmed.Does anyone know any who want to come?

Item 5: Parade Bar Camp

  • Marsha I’m going to draft something that articulates what’s a Bar Camp.
  • Neil: Next point would be to send out the times.
  • Kuba: If we make it too complex then it’s hard to express that anyone other than us will
  • Ken: Separate Being in Public from Being in Public
  • Kuba: Feeling from the Barcamps in Warsaw. Provide an easy
  • We discussed and changed the titles.
  • Kuba: Why should we decide in advance what people will talk about?
  • Marsha: It’s our job to decide what the themes are that we’re interested in and then people can go to the one we discuss.
  • Neil: Suggests that by next Thursday 22 April we work on them until we’re happy with them.
  • Update from Joanna. Things are stalled. Funds were late.

Item 6 Knot

  • Kuba talked about the last day of Knot in Berlin. It could have the context of self-reflection, some talk about experiences and question of whether it’s an advantageous or disadvantageous.
  • Kuba suggested meeting with Joanna
  • Who can go to Berlin 28 May: Neil, Marsha, Michele, Scott.
  • Kuba gave a brief on the events in Berlin including sports competition, Bar Camp, performance…
  • We agreed the name of the barcamp would be the 'Public Practice BarCamp'


Schedule

26 May take down 27 May back up day and collection of crates 28 back up day

AOB

  • Items: Budget, Draw, and Documentation
  • Budget. Orianna promised £5000 from CCW fund. So budget from CCW is £8000 includes £5000 and £3000. Let’s discuss at the next meeting. £500 to come out of honoraries to UK public.
  • Kuba: Do we have any idea how much is costs to document this or ideas to do that?
  • Marsha: ICFAR has a history of documenting. Are theire funds to photo-document and edit? Can we ask them too?
  • Marsha plans if time allows to create a presence on Facebook.
  • Neil: To decide on the kind of documentation should ask: What’s the documentation for? What do we want it to do? Form to follow what function of what it's to do.
  • Marsha: One thing is for it to be an internal record for us.

Items for the next meeting

  • Documentation
  • Takako knows a publication called Sexy Machinery and suggests it as a good one to look at as a format.
  • Need to get stuff onto the Wiki not only e-mails.
  • Next meeting is 26 April Monday 3pm.

The notes are the recorders' summary of points, not quotations



Main Page