Minutes 5th July 2011

From Critical Practice Chelsea
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes of July 2011 Monthly Meeting

DATE Tuesday 5th July 2011
LOCATION Royal Festival Hall 6.30pm - 8.30pm

THOSE PRESENT: Marsha, Karem, Sharon, Metod
APOLOGIES: Neil, Cinzia, Charlotte, Scott, Phil, Kuba
CHAIR: Marsha
MINUTES: Sharon


Item 1: FEEDBACK FROM BERLIN BIENNIAL PROPOSAL

To discuss: THE RESPONSE RECEIVED FROM BERLIN REGARDING THE MARKET OF VALUES PROPOSAL AND THOUGHTS ABOUT HOW TO MOVE FORWARD

Marsha opened the discussion by sharing Kuba's thoughts on the response from Berlin that he had emailed before the meeting. All agreed that the response from Berlin invites us to reconsider and resubmit our proposal.

It seems that our proposal was seen as being "playful" and may not have been taken seriously. The organizers re-iterated the fact that they are looking for us to answer the question "What is the real result of art"? CP seems to be divided on this matter. Some members don't think that it is useful to discuss the real result of art because there isn't one. Kuba believes that Biennials are the result of art and proposes using the Market of Values to critique this.

It is agreed that the proposal isn't as clear on our thoughts of what effects or results the Market of Values will explore, critique and possibly change as it could be. We also realise that we have used the term "effects" instead of "results". We discuss if there is a difference between the two.

Marsha reminds the group of the meeting that she and Kuba had with AZ. At that meeting, AZ was very interested in the 'Running for Political Office' project. Should we make the proposal for Market of Values more political? All agree that this is something we could work on although we don't want to make the proposal too aggressive and over politicised.

It is proposed that if we do decide that we want to use the Market of Values to critique the biennial system and more specifically the Berlin Biennial in this instance, it is interesting to work from the inside out and try to establish an alternative to the biennial system than openly and aggressively critique it from the outside in.

We discuss the economics of biennials. Critical Practice is interested in sustainability. This is important. What could we do that could have an effect and create lasting results? What counts? What has an impact? The art work counts. But also the infrastructure.

The proposal is a bit vague. It seems that in Berlin, they found the list of possible participants in the Market of Ideas obvious and unimaginative. We remember the exciting meeting that we had back in March. We look at the
Minutes to remind ourselves. We realise that there are lots of great ideas that we discussed for the market that weren't included in the proposal. Maybe we could beef the proposal up a bit with some of these?

ACTION:
  1. Marsha to reply to Berlin to thank them for their response and say that we will resubmit the proposal by the end of July
  2. We will set a deadline of 24 JULY to amend the proposal looking in particular at the following
    • Be more explicit about how the Market of Values is going to produce/explore results. Give concrete examples, looking at the minutes of the meeting in March for ideas.
    • Give the proposal more 'edge' but not too much. Marsha to suggest to Kuba that he looks at this aspect of the proposal and then we can go through together on the wiki.


Item 2: HUNTORAMA

To discuss: THE RESPONSE RECEIVED FROM EL RANCHITO REGARDING THE HUNTORAMA PROPOSAL FOR MADRID AND A SHORT DEBRIEF OF THE EVENT ON 26TH JUNE 2011

The response from El Ranchito was discussed. Metod thinks that we have divided El Ranchito and all agreed that it is likely that the budget issue is a scapegoat for some other reason. Is it possible that they can't see the benefit for them? We go through all the points on the proposal concentrating especially on meeting the aims and objectives of El Ranchito. Maybe there is a way that we can surface the value for them more clearly? All agree that the proposal is clear and Huntorama appears to meet all their objectives. So if we are ticking their boxes with the 'what' (ie Huntorama as a format) then maybe we are missing the point with the 'how'? Maybe Huntorama is seen as being too playful and not serious enough.

Metod reminds the group that after his return from Madrid, Neil reported that certain members of El Ranchito were very enthusiastic about the project. Does this point to a divide in Madrid? We go around this point but in the end decide that there is little point in pursuing this and that the best way forward is to actively look for other opportunities for Huntorama as it is a great format.

Marsha had previously mentioned Piksel 11 in Bergen, Norway. We discuss how this could be an interesting format for Huntorama. Yes, there will be technical issues but we could do a web based hunt which could take CP back to its roots of Open Source technology. Possible ideas fly around. Teams could be based at different stations in a room all working at the same time. Sharon mentioned an idea that Charlotte had about creating drop boxes that teams could drop images and information that they find into. Each team could have a projector and be projecting/curating their results live as they complete the tasks. There seems to be some enthusiasm for exploring this further. Not least because it would be fun to go to Norway! Sharon says that she will research further and look at how the existing proposal could be repurposed for submission. We are reminded that the deadline is 15th August.

We briefly discuss the Huntorama event on Sunday 26th June. Everyone agreed that it was great fun. We think about how to take it forward. Of course we could just do the Hunt ourselves in London with no need for an umbrella event. We discuss how future events could benefit from a using a combination of techniques from all 3 trials so far. Ie, searching for particular images, following clues to observe, understand and interact with a specific locale and complete actions and tasks with creative freedom to interact and collaborate with the 'public'.


ACTION:
  1. Meeting set up for the Hunt Working Group to meet on Monday 18th July at 6.30pm at RFH. Sharon to email CP to invite everyone
  2. Sharon to research Piksel 11 before the meeting
  3. All to consider the Hunt Proposal and how this could be repurposed for other opportunities
  4. All to keep a look out for further opportunities for Huntorama
  5. IF El Ranchito request an updated, amended proposal we will do it but if not we won't pursue that avenue any more.


Item 3: MONTHLY MEETINGS AND SEASONAL WORKSHOPS

To discuss: TO LOOK AT DATES FOR FORTHCOMING MONTHLY MEETINGS AND THE NEXT SEASONAL WORKSHOP MEETING

The group discussed whether it is working to have fixed monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of each month. It is agreed that it is a format that we should continue. It is feels to be easier to have a date in the diary to work around than keep trying to negotiate who is free on which day and at what time etc. This way we all know the dates and can organise ourselves accordingly. The RFH is a good venue. It is open late, there is wifi if needed and it is easy to get to for most people. 6.30pm is considered to be a good start time.

With regard to the next Seasonal Workshop Meeting. We look at the diary and realise that realistically it isn't going to be feasible until mid September.

Metod is going to talk to Scott about whether they might do something with Walk and Talk at the next Seasonal Meeting.

ACTION:
  1. Karem will put all the dates for the next 6 monthly meetings on the wiki
  2. Marsha to email Kuba to see when he is planning to come to London in September. All to look at availability around the middle of September.


Item 4: ANY OTHER BUSINESS

To discuss: SKYPE

We discuss whether Skpye might work at future meetings. Could we have conference calling where multiple people skype in?

ACTION:
  1. All to look at Skype and other alternatives.

Return to Art/Value


Return to The Market of Values


return to Huntorama proposal


Return to HUNT


return to minutes