Parade Publication

From Critical Practice Chelsea
Jump to: navigation, search

Here is a link to the PARADE publication posted on Archive.org
Below are process notes for this publication.

We are working on a Parade Publication as a legacy project.
It will be 225 X 161mm and approx 146 pages.
There will be a DVD attached inside the covers.
It will be produced for December 2010

The Circular Artefact Working Group (moving image aspect) will comprise:
Basia, Neil, Marsha, Scott, and Metod

The Rectangular Artefact Working Group (print aspect)
Coordinated by Neil, will comprise: Ken, Michaela, Cinzia, Marsha Scott, and Metod


Click here for discussion on the cover

Here is a list of Credits and Thanks
Here is a list of current stall contributors to the publication, as of 27th October 2010
Here is a Call for Contributions: The Market of Ideas
Here is a Call for Contributions: Parade - Glossary
Here is the Parade Glossary

Take a look at PARADE, it was amazing

PARADE documentation

Parade from Above.jpg

We have a longstanding interest in art, public goods, spaces, services and knowledge, and a track record of producing original, participatory events. So, an eighteen month research project resulted in PARADE

Chelsea College of Art and Design has a large contemporary courtyard at its heart: the beautiful Rootstein Hopkins Parade Ground. We collaborated with Polish curator Kuba Szreder to develop a project to explore the diverse, contested and vital conceptions of being in public.

In a bespoke, temporary structure designed by award-winning Polish architects Ola Wasilkowska and Michał Piasecki - assembled in public - we produced a landmark event in an amazing location with a host of international contributors.

PARADE challenged the lazy, institutionalised model of knowledge transfer - in which amplified 'experts' speak at a passive audience. Our modes of assembly, our forms of address and the knowledge we shared was intimately bound.

The hashtag for Parade on digital platforms and beyond is #parade10 please make your online content locatable by including this tag.
See and download copyleft images on Flickr here and here, some reflections

Take a look at BarCamp films from the Satellite Group


Draft Timline

We like the idea of a timeline, that could start with the picnic and the BIG IDEAS and incorporate all the research trips, Barcamps, workshops and key meetings. We though this would enable us to thread the intellectual and organizational development, through the evolution of the physical structure.

What follows is the draft timeline

Draft Introduction

Critical Practice is a cluster of artists, researchers, academics and others, supported by Chelsea College of Art & Design, London.

Initiated in 2005, Critical Practice has explored new models for creative practice, and sought to engage those models in appropriate public forums, both nationally and internationally; we have participated in exhibitions and the institutions of exhibition, seminars and conferences, film, concert and other event programmes. We have worked with archives and collections, publication, broadcast and other distributive media; while actively seeking to collaborate.

Critical Practice have a longstanding interest in art, public goods, spaces, services and knowledge, and a track record of producing original, participatory events. So, an eighteen month research project resulted in PARADE

Chelsea College of Art and Design has a large contemporary courtyard at its heart: the beautiful Rootstein Hopkins Parade Ground. We collaborated with Polish curator Kuba Szreder to develop a project to explore the diverse, contested and vital conceptions of being in public.

In a bespoke, temporary structure designed by award-winning Polish architects Ola Wasilkowska and Michał Piasecki - assembled in public - we produced a landmark event in an amazing location with a host of international contributors.

PARADE challenged the lazy, institutionalised model of knowledge transfer - in which amplified 'experts' speak at a passive audience. Our modes of assembly, our forms of address and the knowledge we shared was intimately bound.

This is a document of the evolution of PARADE, and part of its legacy.

Annual Picnic 26th June 2008

Hat.jpg

Throughout 2008, Critical Practice responded with enthusiasm to a number of invitations and opportunities to contribute to art, its discourses and organization. From participating in events such as Systems Art at the Whitechapel, the distributed London Festival of Europe and Disclosures convened by Gasswork London, these engagements provided a stimulating context in which to practice critically. Although invigorating, the downside of responding to theses immediate 'event-in-hand' left us feeling exhausted, and often challenged in terms of commitment.

While we intend to remain engaged it felt important for Critical Practice to develop some self-initiated projects, like the Open Congress which we organized with Tate and was the impetus for our committment to work together. We started the ball rolling at our Annual Picnic on the 26th June 2008 in St Jame's Park London. Seven people met, bringing food, drink and three Big Ideas each. We plucked each other's suggestions out of a blue fedora (one Big Idea arrived by text message) and discussed their connections, alternatives, feasibility, and possible figurations. Notably, two broad categories of activity emerged:

Short-term focused events
Longer-term projects

We reconvened on the 10th July at 7pm in the foyer cafe of the Royal Festival Hall, London to decide how to further develop the big ideas. We developed The Enthusiasm index, a means of voting and gauging the level of commitment among Critical Practitioners to see an idea through to completion, to actually make it happen - Enthusiasm coupled with responsibility.

Several of the Big Ideas, notably proposed project on Sustainability, a Market of Organization, an Open Source Festival and the Biography of Collaboration all slowly morphed into the idea of A Market of......

28th October meeting

Present: Kuba, Neil, Ken, Cinzia

Minutes Cinzia & Kuba

Kuba describes to us the inflatable structure he has used for a conference in Warsaw and shows us some images (to come soon).
It is a semi-transparent bubble, very easy to install that creates a kind of separate but but visible private space, in public space.
In Kuba's words,
it puts the event in a performative relation with the space in which it happens.

We are considering how this structure might fit with the Big Ideas project Market of ... and the theme Kuba is proposing: an exploration of the constructs behind notions of public sphere/space. In Poland, the idea of 'bourgeois space' (Habermas) (see public sphere on wikipedia), informs much of the discourse on public space, but only in theory.
It has a lot to do with cultural context and history of many Eastern European countries, which were urbanized much later then Western societies (Poland, till 2nd World War, was in 80% agrarian country).
It obviously determines how people are producing space(s) and is influencing urban experience.
The notion of 'bourgeois space', even if used, does not really provide good insight into these practices.

During our discussion we explored otherr possible formats in which public space in constructed,
talked about Arabic Casbah - bazzar, ramblers fights to get a right for walking in countryside in UK, Cinzia described the ways of using the public space in Italy.

Kuba is suggesting that we organise a Market-format-event to address this issues.
We agreed that it is more interesting to think about it in wider terms then just comparison of Eastern / Western Europe.
Still it can be organized as part of the Polish Season in UK which will run from May 2009 to May 2010. The Adam Mickiewicz Institute, the organising entity, might be able to provide up to 1/3 of the budget on application - which depends on the scale of event and how much it does relate to "polish culture", they are about to promote.

Neil sees a correspondence between these concerns and CP's ongoing enquiry into knowledge and the internet as public spaces.

Ken runs a course at Chelsea called Interior Design and Spacial Design, as well as a research group called Spaces and Narrations. We think that these three strands could come together into a very interesting project.

LOCATION: We imagine an event in the Chelsea Parade Ground, with a variety of structures designed and built in collaboration with chosen architects, designers, Ken's students, participants in he Market ...
David Garcia (Dean of Chelsea) and Linda Drew have already given a generic 'yes' to the use of the space.
We imagine a Market of interesting stalls around a central inflatable (?) structure.
We want to take into account the history of building (first prison, then military hospital, now art school ...), the spacial relation with Tate Britain, ideas of panopticon, ideas of 'right of way', all in relation to notions of public sphere.

We think that most of the structure could be thought as a resource we are building for others to be re-used.

The Market will be a 'notional grid' made of zones for social encounters.
We will pay attention to the relations and forms of democracy created by the spaces and structures. This should include more traditional iterations of public spaces, like, for example, an academic conference.
The central space can more refer to the notion of "agora", while market / casbah will surround it - providing spatial settings for various modes of communication and production of knowledge.
It will be interesting to test how they work side - by - side and what kind of practices rise in this situation.

We will approach the The Adam Mickiewicz Institute, proposing an event for May 2010 and requesting some funding.
We are thinking of a weekend event, but the structures could be made available during the week for students or academic events.

We will collect a list of architects, designers and organizations we want to involve. We might commission some structures, but we would privilege critical collaborations.

Kuba will be back in the UK in the third week of January, so we will meet again then.

Here are some of the concepts we would like to develop:

  • Subletting a 'plot', to highlight the interface between public and private spheres
  • Built in a day In a variety of cultures/countries one can become owner of a piece of land if one builds a structure on it in a day.
  • Speaker's Corner We'll provide the soap box ...
  • Café as discussion space
  • Blind Auction of a section of the space to a business/corporation
  • Portaloos One free and one for a fee. You have the choice in the knowledge that you are supporting the event.
  • Wild Card a last minute initiative we cannot discuss here ...

Add here if you want to suggest a stall.

21st January 2009

LOCATION 5.30pm Research Office, E Block, Chelsea College of Art and Design.</blockquote>


Appoint chair No need

Appoint Minute Taker: Neil
Present: Michaela, Cinzia, Ken, Kuba, Marsha, and Neil.


Item 1: Kuba's news

To discuss: meeting with Aneta Prasal - Wisniewska from IAM, Aneta is the curator of the Polish Season, England 2009.
Kuba gives a review of the Parade project so far, the October meeting, and our desire to collapse the form of the conference into its content. Kuba and Neil met with Aneta earlier in the day at Chelsea, and there is a very positive feedback and engagement. We discussed some possibilities, specifically that study and research visits to Poland are encouraged.

We might need a place, to design the structures, a web portal of some kind - ftp client.
How can we develop resources. Should the project be more international - South American, Middle and Far East, etc
We discuss the difficulties of taking on too much.


Item 2; Other funding

To discuss: suggestions, and discussion about some of the strategies proposed in the previous meeting - private sponsorship of public goods

Constructions should be being made, and unmade over the period over the event.
Maybe it should be up for a week, perhaps a week of construction. Renting out a 'plot' to corporations, retail spaces, payment for toilets, etc.
Differing structures - Agora, bazzar, auditorium
Differing modes of engagement - lectures, bar-camps, workshops, hackmeets, seminar, informal clusters,
Taking private money and supporting a public - good seems a key idea.
Ken - some Japanese students will be here first week of May.

Chelsea has a fund for collaborative research CLIPcetl - Unilever.
Action: Marsha to investigate "collaboration" grant
+ http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/CRTS-Student-LedInitiative.aspx
Action: Cinzia to investigate Westminster City Council
Action Cinzia to investigate - and also some Italian connections.
Google
Action Neil to follow-up.
Ove Arrups
Action Ken to pursue.
Mobile Phones, British Telecoms, and to look at the Arts Council Criteria.
Action Michaela.
Polish connections
Action Kuba to coordinate
Plan B.
We could pay someone to apply for public funding


Item 3; Whom would we like to involve?

To discuss: who, architects, designers, artists, politicians, organizations ... any ideas?

We decide to aggregate these people on line
Two modes of participants

1. People we are working on the physical structure - these people might need a long lead-time.

What, who and with what materials.

2.People who will contribute to the 'content'- workshops, seminars, etc.- less long lead-in

Ken also suggests three different structures

1. Central structure - the 'parliament'

2. a Grid or City structure

3. Things that then plug into the Grid or City structure

we discuss (animatedly) if this is a chicken or an egg situation, and issues such as rights of way, the museum and art school context spill into the discusion. Atmospheres like - cafes, bicycle repairs, speakers corner. We agree on a varied public-space.
lounge cafe's, Wireless headphones
Cinzia offered an interesting gloss on the project: It's about the relationships between physical structures and sociopolitical participants

Item 4: Funding

already discussed, we have to leave and adjourn to the pub. minutes go analogue.

Possible (research) trip to Poland - What are the objectives of this trip?

1.To understand public space in Poland
2.To meet people Kuba has suggested my be involved in the project


17th February 2009

LOCATION 5.30pm Research Office, E Block, Chelsea College of Art and Design.</blockquote>

Appoint chair We skipped this step

Appoint Minute Taker: Cinzia
Present: Cinzia, Neal, Marsha, and Neil.

Neil recapitulates the project so far.

We didn't have an agenda, so we looked at the actions form the previous meeting's minutes.

Marsha to investigate AHRC "collaboration" grant

Marsha has investigated! It is an AHRC opportunity for student initiated research training initiatives of £2000. It covers educational initiatives in the wider sense - conferences fit. Tey have a rolling deadline, give a reply within 4 month and expect the event to start 6 months from application.

Action: Marsha and Cinzia will follow this up and work on an application.

Cinzia to investigate Westminster City Council ... still working on this.

Cinzia to investigate some Italian connections ... Marco Lo Curzio, architect friend in Sicily, is investigating links and resources with a colleague working in a studio in London.

Action: We will report as soon as there are developments.


Neil to follow-up opportunities to collaborate with Google ... the did not reply to Neil's e-mail and letter.

Action Neil will follow up with a visit.


Ken to pursue Ove Arrups ... We are not sure.

Michaela to investigate Mobile Phones, British Telecoms, and to look at the Arts Council Criteria.

Michaela Is working on it, Nokia in particular.

Cinzia also investigated the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation. Not sure if we fit the criteria. Still attempting to share with Michaela, who has had some experience with the process.

Neil has some feedback from liaising with Chelsea College about using the Rootstein Hopkins Parade Ground. David Garcia and Linda Drew (curatorial team for the Parade Ground) have confirmed their generic support and advised to discuss with Alan Graham. Neil did this, and felt that Alan saw more problems than possibilities. We discuss health and safety issues. Neal has a lot of experience of this from working with N55 They produce a manual for every event they stage, so that others can also organise it. We need to build these considerations into the project as part of the forces that run through the public domain and shape it. Marsha suggests to enroll intermediaries who have worked well with 'the system' in the past ...

Neil has also written a letter to the Architectural Association School of Architecture] and to the The Architecture Foundation. He will be meeting with the director of the latter, Sarah Ichioka, next month.

Neal also mentioned a yearly research grant of £8000 for artists who work with architects, but we still feel that we want to leave public funding as a fall back position if we don't manage enough support from 'private capital'.

We discuss the focus of the project. We appear to be shifting from 'public space' to 'public domain', where issues of knowledge and physical space intersect and overlap.

Neal talks about Anarchitektur. They produce publications and 'camps of oppositional architecture'. Neal met Sabine and Olivier in Utah, and they would be interested in collaborating, perhaps with a 'camp'. There are many echoes and correspondences between these camps and how we are thinking about Parade - pseudo-conferences in temporary structures that reflect on uses of public space with invited individuals/organizations.

Action Neal will get in touch with them and ask for copies of their magazine, in which they have collected precious resources from their practice.

Neal also talks about working with Muky Haklay at UCL.

Action Neal will explore possibilities of connections and collaborations. Neal will also make connections with Autonomous Geographies.

We feel we need to push on different fronts and see where we can 'succeed'. We discuss the practicalities of what we might build. We talk about a 'central' structure for more conventional conference-like activities, surrounded by a market-like set of structures for different kinds of exchanges. Neal warns about the power of seduction of architecture and of how aesthetics will dominate and inform the public space it produces. Also advises that if we describe our structures as 'buildings' they might require planning permission, but not if we describe them as 'sculptures'.

Neil reports that we have a confirmed budget of £3000 until June, and a generic commitment of support for the near future. We discuss employing Cinzia to carry on some coordinating/administrative functions in relation to the assigned budget from Chelsea of £3000 - Neil has discussed this with Steven Scrivener. As Parade will absorb all our energies, and we feel it will be the only project CP carries on in the near future, Neil suggests that the whole amount is used to remunerate Cinzia. Marsha feels that giving the whole amount to one member of CP is excessive and that monies should be reserved for other members. This is also the first time Marsha heard about Cinzia's proposed role as coordinator; Neil explains this has been in process for some time. Marsha also feels that this will change her sense of how she participates in CP. After discussion, we agree to dedicate £2000 to support Cinzia half day a week between now and the end of June, and re-assess the rest of the budget at a later date. Neal warns of the risk of exploitation from Chelsea College. Marsha observes that she makes 16.00/hour GBP for working as a research assistant and assumes this will be a guide for Cinzia's payment. Marsha would also like some kind of accountability for how Cinzia's time is spent--what exactly one can accomplish in four hours. With this said, she recognizes and appreciates that Cinzia will work many hours for which she will not get paid...and that Cinzia does not wish to separate out her paid work and engage in such auditing.

Action Cinzia will draft a list of activities as a pseudo-job description, post it on the wiki and ask everybody to review/change it within a week.
Action Cinzia will set up a collective bank account and coordinate with Neil for signatures.

We reconsider the date for the next meeting and agree that 27th March at 2 pm is best for all of us present.

Action Cinzia will e-mail Kuba to check that this is OK for him too (DONE)

Tuesday 27th March 2009

TIME 2pm LOCATION Royal Festival Hall.

Present: Cinzia, Ewelina, Ken, Kuba, Marsha, Michaela, Neil

Chair : Neil
Minutes : Michaela

Item 1: PUBLIC SPACE AND PUBLIC DOMAIN
To discuss: Shift from 'public space' to 'public domain'.
Marsha called for clarification about the change in terminology.
Responses -
‘Public space’ gives the impression that the project is about architecture/physical space. A term indicating a wider remit is needed – something that also references public goods, knowledge etc. ‘Public realm’ was suggested.
Others thought it best not to give a pre-defined definition. The project itself should explore the notion. ‘Public space’ is overused, ‘public domain’ has too much of a direct reference to copyright issues.
‘Market’, 'publicness' and ‘Being in public’ were also suggested.
Action: Marsha to start a page on the Wiki to discuss Public What?.

Item 2; Embodied Public Domain
Cinzia and Marsha reported back on their Embodied Public Domain proposal.
This is an AHRC initiative researching non-verbal public space – how people get together without words.
They propose to work with others – an expert in visual culture and artists from Poland (Johanna, Magda). Geoff Beattie from Manchester University and psychologist on Big Brother.
The main question for the research will be ‘What conditions make non-verbal communication possible?’.

Item 3: Trip to Poland
Kuba - There is funding for 5 people to visit Poland from the UK for 4/5 days.
There was general agreement that we shouldn’t over-programme the visit and that there should be a balance between meetings and more ‘social’ activities. There should be time factored in for us to synthesise information. The provisional itinerary: 10 May departure, 11/12/13 May Warsaw, 14, 15 Poznan for the conference ‘Art in the Cities, Cities in Art’, and we leave from Poznan for the UK. The conference is in Polish, but there will be parallel meetings in English. Cinzia suggested we begin a rough schedule on the Wiki

Action: Cinzia, Ken, Marsha, Michaela and Neil to send their details to Kuba (Kuba to email requirements)(done)

Item 4; Other Reports
Neil on Architectural Association:
Neil met Brett Steele who responded very positively. It was suggested that some staff from AA might be involved in aspects of the project or that AA might develop a unit with the project being part of a taught course. AA has experience of making vast structures. They are also prepared to fundraise for the project

Neil on Architectural Foundation:
Neil met Sarah Ikochi. AF is a commissioning agency. The project coincides with some of their activity planned for June. An architecture competition was proposed – CP isn’t sure that we agree with the competition ethos. It was noted however that unemployment is on the increase amongst architects so there might be a very high response to a call-out. Can we reconfigure the idea of a competition to make it fit better with CP principles? AF have experience of drafting call-outs guidelines for competitions.

Kuba met up with ‘The People Speak’ and spoke about their ‘Who wants to be?’ project – a game show format where people contribute £10 and decide together how it should be spent. They are currently experimenting with new formats. They are interested in involving non- artscene audiences.

Ken might develop a unit for his students. We spoke of the 'mesquito' structure which combines different vernaculars.

Kuba asked about timescales, project milestones – these would be needed for future application processes.

Ken - Ove Arup – they have a very tight remit and our project can't be adapted to fit. Peter Klein will forward the proposal within Arup.

Cinzia is in contact with Andreas from Anarchitektur. We now have previous issues in English of An Architekture magazine. They have expertise in temporary structures and would be interested in designing and running a workshop, where space and content are matched. They are interested in working with materials found in the area and then returning them at the end of the project.

Action: Michaela to ask about materials from Tate stores

Neil & Kuba RSA Visit (Michaela Crimmin and Emma Ridgeway)
'Arts and Ecology'
They are very interested in being involved. They are interested in 'social ecologies'. The term 'sustainability' was first coined at the RSA.

Item 5: Funding from IAM
The budget and detailed project description are due in September. Budget total: approx £15,000 IAM can only support up to 30% of the budget and probably will not accept funding 'in kind'. Cinzia is in the process of setting up the CP bank account.

Item 6: Other funding news
Westminster Council Grant – the next funding deadline is in July.

Ken – chelsea students are involved in a British Land project at Broadgate. there is a meeting on April 24th – he will raise the Parade project at this next public meeting.

Michaela – Feedback on Nokia – no reply as yet.

Neil – Feedback on Google – no response but will go in person and speak with receptionist.

We have a couple of good Arts Council conatacts who were involved in Open Congress

Kuba – suggests that we first secure public funding then sell off plots in 'blind auction'

Neil mentioned that there is a marketing 'guru' at the Serpentine who could advise on how to structure blind auction but she is difficult to contact.

Chelsea: David Garcia is aware of project – he has responded to Neil's email. The project is booked on the system for 2 weeks in May 2010. Cinzia suggested that after Easter we request an official letter of support from David Garcia. Alan Graham is responsible for technical installation at Chelsea.

Action: Marsha to contact Bob Rankin to confirm dates for event- According to Rankin: May 17th-30th 2010, though it's still classified as "in discussion"

Kuba – mentioned the European Culture Foundation - www.eurocult.org. There is a September deadline for collaborative art projects.

Item 7: Any Other Business (AOB) Kuba suggested a barcamp in June RSA has an event in June and the events could be combined. Barcamp would thrash out terrain rather than specifically address Parade. Marsha suggested that it could it be formulated around a question – i.e. – What is the public realm? We liked the idea of researching the public domain in the public domain - 'Public Camp'. Kuba will book another trip to London in June. We thought about Kennington Park as a possible site because of its links with Chartism.

Marsha -Discussion about transparency A considerable portion of the budget was spent on Cinzia's role without there being much discussion on the Wiki. Can processes be slowed down for such major decisions? It it's above a certain amount in question, can we have more notification? There was a discussion of rough consensus, but specifically of the need to constantly attend to processes.

Next meeting – Polish lesson on 15th April 2pm at Ewelina's flat. Thanks Ewelina!


Polish Lessons=

Polish lessons and cultural introduction by Ewelina

Tuesday 5th May 2009

LOCATION Royal Festival Hall, South Bank London


Present: Ewelina, Marsha, Michaela, Cinzia, Ken, Neil.

Chair: Marsha

Minute Taker: Cinzia


Item 1: Research Trip to Poland update

To discuss: Where we are in terms of the research trip

Kuba has organised an amazing round of walks, talks and meetings.
We will meet at St Pancras Station, in front of the ugly embracing statue at 2.50pm.

ACTIONS: Neil will bring copies of issues 1 and 2 of the Critical Practice annual publication.
Ken will source maps and plans of the Parade Ground.
Marsha will print some images of the Parade Ground.

A warning from Ewelina: inform your bank that you will be using your card in Poland, or they might block it.

During the trip, we will be drafting some drawings of possible structures, discuss the invitation to Polish artists to TrAIN talks (see below), and draft a proposal for TrAIN's participation in Parade.


Item 2; Architectural Foundation Competition


To discuss: Do we, and if so how, want to proceed with the Architectural Foundation's idea of a competition for the Parade structure

The Architectural Foundation sprang on us a series of fees! Neil will respond that we would rather not proceed with the competition.

Ken has been talking to Damian Illy of Arup - there are concerns about the size of the central structure. We might just have a common roof and separate out areas, including an 'official' one for standard conference settings.

Neil has been talking to Brett Steal at AA school. After the trip, Neil will liaise to see if they are still interested in working on the structures, how, etc. They might set up a study module around the project. Ken will liaise with Westminster Council for planning permission.


Item 3; PIC NIC anyone???


To discuss: Should we start thinking about a date?


We discuss merging the picnic and the Public Camp at the Kennington Park. We decide against it.

Public Camp: dates 29-30 June. Michaela will coordinate, start a page on the wiki and research Chartist aesthetics for publicity. When we have a page, Neil will contact the RSA, who have expressed an interest. Michaela will adapt the template for the ResourceCamp we held at Disclosures last year.

We aim to use this Camp as a research tool for Parade. We need to start mobilising people we are interested in involving.

PICNIC: Thursday 9th June at 2pm at St James Park. Cinzia will post to the list.

Item 4: Budget


To discuss:brief overview

Chelsea will not support CP in opening a community account - we will open a private one (Cinzia).

We decide to share the fee from the Disclosures educational workshop (£200) between Marsha and Michaela, who have invested a lot of time and effort to make it happen.

Check out the Budget 08 09 Table (soon to be updated) for an overview of the current state of our budget.

We still do not know how much we need to set up Parade.

On the funding front:

  • Cinzia and Marsha's AHRC application has been rejected on bizarre grounds. We will follow up.
  • Cinzia will research and persue Esmee Fairnairn Foundation, Elephant Trust and Levehume Foundation.
  • Michaela will follow up Nokia, and research the criteria for the Paul Hamlin Foundation
  • Neil, Michaela and Ken will look into an Arts Council application
  • Neil will persue support from Chelsea by liaising with Sonya Dyers, who has just delivered a report on using the Parade Ground to the dean
  • Ken will continue to persue British Land
  • Cinzia and Neil will work out a blind auction.


Item 5: Any Other Business (AOB)


To discuss: TrAIN talks

Ewelina gives us some dates to invite Polish speakers. We decide the January-March 2010 would be best as a lead up to Parade. We can choose one event, or a series. Speakers will receive £150 fee. We will have to source traveling expenses.

We also would like to invite TrAIN to participate in Parade. We will discuss what to propose to them while we are away.


research trip to Poland 10th-15th May 2009

Five of us went on a brilliantly organized research trip to Warsaw and Poznan, Kuba Szreder did the organization, and we were generously supported by the Adam Mickiewicz Institute

Sunday 10th May
We arrive in the evening and stay at the Novotel, with stunning views of the Place of Culture

Monday 11th May

morning
We walked the 'new' urban developments, the new living / working / leisure spaces of the gated communities in Nowy Wilanow and Marina Mokotow - as examples of the neoliberal constitution of public space with Dr Maciej Gdula, sociologist from Krytyka Polityczna.

afternoon
We meet curator Joanna Warsza who describes her projects in the Stadion, visit a Pagoda, stroll through the remnants of the Jarmark Europa - the biggest bazaar in Warsaw, which skirts the Stadion/sports stadium (being renovated for euro 2012) and have the best Vietnamese pho we have ever eaten. Then we walk in the Praga district - traditionally a working class area, a scarred and derelict district of Warsaw now going through gentrification. And in the evening supper in Kuba's home, where we met Joanna Rajkowska, Agnieszka Kurant, Jakub Szczsny, Bogna Swiatkowska and many others.........!


Tuesday 12th May

We stroll along Nowy Swiat to the old town - Stare Miasto, and discuss the film-set eariness of the painstaking reconstruction.
Then meet Kuba at the Palm Tree rondo of Al. Jerozolimskie, walk to Bogna Swiatkowska's shop/gallery/publishing house/design bureau/library/um..., and then on to meet Folke Kobberling at the Centre of Contemporary Art at Ujazdowskie Castle. Taxi to Pulawska to meet with Dr Ewa Majewska - feminist and social philosopher - to wander down Dolna Street to experience the ways in which public space is controlled, and the means of excluding and disciplining the Other (particularly woman, migrants etc.). We skip the chance of hearing Slavo Zizek lecture at Warsaw University, for dinner and discussion in a magnificent unreconstructed 70's restaurant - complete with toilet lady, basketry ceiling and perfunctory ;-) service. Food was good though!

Wednesday 13th May

A long, stunning and emotional walking tour in former Warsaw ghetto with Ela Janicka - literature critic and theoretician of culture with focus on Polish/Jewish relations, the constitution of Warsaw public space connected with rejecting the memory of Jewish presence in Poland. At the end of the tour, at the Jewish Ghetto Monument we meet Adam Ostolski from Krytyka Polityczna, who gave a brilliant talk on the 'renovation' of collective memory as public space. Exhausted, we still managed to eat Lebanese food, listen to a presentation from Jakub Szczsny from Centrala, then Natalia Romik (working in architecture office Nizio Design) on the renovation of former synagogue in Chmielnik, and have a lively discussion.

Thursday 14th May

morning
We caught the train from Warsaw Centralna to Poznan, dropped our bags at the hotel and headed out to the Botanical Gardens to sit in on a symposium on Art - Cultural Capital and the Polish City. We were late for the first afternoon session, so we sat in the shade of a tree and had a lively discussion about public services - particularly what might be the minimum provision. We thought about fresh water, and what to do with human waste. How to make the provision of these resources, which we tend to take for granted, palpable in Parade?
afternoon & evening
We join the symposium and listened to some papers (translated simultaneously by Ewelina) on Museums and small cities and photographs of re-purposed synagogues. There was a bus tour into Poznan with live art events at various public venues, then an exhibition opening in a disused publishing house, and then we all had dinner in a famous meat and dumpling restaurant.


Friday 15th May

morning
We skip the symposium to wander in the beautiful market square of Poznan. We also visit the award-winning Stary Bower Shopping Centre. According to Poznan in your pocket this art, leisure and shopping extravaganza was originally home to the Huggera Brewery. In 1918, the factory produced 72,000 hectaliters of beer. It remained open through the German occupation, closing temporarily in 1944 to serve as a bunker. The factory finally stopped brewing beer in 1980 but continued bottling water until 1998, when it was purchase by Fortis group for US$ 66 million. Today this 100000m2 shoppers paradise draws around 40,000 people daily. Chic cafes, luxurious boutiques and comparable art: an impressive plan combines new and old build and earned Stary Bower recognition as the world's best shopping centre in the 'new centre medium' category. And the place is clean, spotless. We watched Polish cleaners polish various surfaces. (Michaela was convinced they were performers--a Beecroft, perhaps.) One even approached us, bent down and picked up a tiny bit of dirt off the floor by my feet. Perhaps it came from the gorgeous green park next door? North American shopping centres are almost always surrounded by parks of a different kind: car parks. It was lovely to sit on the grass next to Stary and brainstorm the roof structure for Parade.

We headed back to Hotel Rzymski, grabbed our bags and headed to the airport.


Publicamp 5th July 2009

Publicamp.jpg

When: Sunday 5th July, 2-5pm
Where: Kennington Park

To refine and generate some of the intellectual content, and perhaps some of the participants for Parade, we convened a PubliCamp in Kennington Park – a former common, scene of a huge public Chartist gathering, enclosed (with Royal sponsorship), and now a ‘public’ park.

We intend to explore different conceptions of publicness - historical, cultural, political, social, architectural and digital. We aim to develop a shared ethic towards the notion of public goods, and will not be deterred by the disagreeable, contentious, messy, inefficient, live, improvisatory and provisional nature of Being in Public. Public, common or shared resources are like muscles: they become stronger with exercise.

PubliCamp will use a barcamp structure, something we have experimented with before.

BarCamps are an international network of user generated unconferences — open, participatory workshop-events, whose content is provided by participants.

They work like this: presentations (which might aggregate into themed sessions) are proposed on-the-day by attendees. We then try and build themed 'sessions' or groups of related presentations using white/flip boards. All attendees are encouraged to present and share their expertise. We proposed 10 minute presentations, with 10 minutes for questions/discussion. Everyone is encouraged to share information (there is a scribe working live) and experiences of the event, both live and after the fact, via blogging, photo sharing, twitter, etc.

Through Publicamp we identified various themes of interest that aim to carry forward in Parade.

  1. Public Utilities what infrastructures are necessary to constitute a public: - what resources / utilities / institutions / technologies / knowledges / etc, are necessary. Conditions of possibility...to constitute a public. - eg. the difference between 'public' and 'community'. The limits of 'being in public'.
  2. Public address modes of addressing / speaking / communicating / demanding. HOW people act / speak constitutes WHAT the public is. That results in various typologies of public speech and typologies of publics. For example, making a final statement before being hanged versus the Chartist petition as a political speech act. How might making a speech at Speaker's Corner be different from making a speech in Kennington Park?
  3. Archeologies of the Public how The Public constitutes itself in various cultural, discursive and historical contexts. For example in relation to the history of Parade Ground (prison, training hospital barracks, museum, academy) and other localities - let's invite speakers with knowledge/experience/links with specific PUBLIC spaces. And Ubuntu other non-Westerns notions of publicness
  4. Glocalization
  5. Public Ownership what do we mean by calling resources / goods / domains / services / knowledge public – does it mean that they are state-owned, publically-managed, or commonly accessible? Rights and responsibilities.
  6. The Public Body bodies in public and the socialization of space: - how Public space caters to some bodies and not others. What kind of subjects/bodies/genders/races and ablilities are authorized to enact the Public, and how? What kind of groups are included / excluded from the Public (closely linked to issues of visibility and invisibility - like the Vietnamese community in Warsaw, and the invisibility of disable bodies in archives).
  7. Being in Public Performing or enacting the Public, or - If we don't use it, we'll lose it. – public domain / space / services/ knowledge/consciousness, etc is only ever performed. It is rather a process then a 'being' The public is a messy, unknown, conflictual and unpredictable mode of 'being in common'
  8. Sustainability - Environmental conditions and how they shape public space, such as Heathrow's flight paths, police sirens, rain and wind
  9. Expectations of how public space should be used; disruptions of these expectations - public space as unknown
  10. The relationship between Public and Private. Does participation make public? Where does the individual fit? How is ONE responsible for activating different modalities of being in public? Public relations and private relationships.
  11. The emotions and affects of being in public - optimism / enjoyment / frustration


Monday 6th July 2009

LOCATION St James Park


THOSE PRESENT: Marsha, Michaela, Ewelina, Cinzia, Neil, Metod, Kuba, Ken.
MINUTES: Cinzia
CHAIR: Marsha

Item 1: Progress on Parade (which, by the way, is only a working title ...)

To discuss: Some general points ...
  • We have booked the Parade Ground for 2 weeks. We'll use most of the time for construction and dedicate 2 or 3 days to a Public event.
  • We need to connect with Sonya Diers plans for the space. Sonya would like to be contacted when we have a clearer programme. Paula Rouch - who was at the PubliCamp - will have an event in the Parade Ground in the autumn of 2010. ACTION: Cinzia will enquire.
  • What? Who? How???


Item 2; We start brainstorming ...


To discuss: How are we going to proceed?

We discuss links and audiences, possible structures of the event and strategies. We settle on the idea of a market of micro-events - of different explicit structures, of ways of being in public.
We update Kuba with a summary of our drawing sessions.
We look at Neil's pics of a tensile structure that was in the Parade Ground at the weekend. It is close to our drawings, but it seems important that we build our own, instead of hiring a ready-made one. We want to put the accent on recycled materials and low energy.
Kuba suggests that we use discarded Polish advert banners as we saw covering buildings in Warsaw.

Action: Kuba will enquire on how to source them.


Item 3; Debriefing on yesterday's PubliCamp


To discuss: Format and themes

Marsha thinks - and we all agree - that the camp has been a very satisfying event. Salient points:.
Marsha: Being outside, environmental conditions influenced meaning making. Clashes of utterances ...
Kuba: The BarCamp structure is very productive - it creates a totally different kind of public, and it allows all to take risks. It works better with small numbers. Parade will involve large flux of people. We could find Spacial tools to attune people to the structure, something like a round table ...
Michaela: The coherence of a BarCamp is based on everybody's explicit willingness to participate. We still need to sift through the notes.
Neil reminds us that it is a lot of work ... A BarCamp generates a lot of material that needs to be distilled.

We extract some themes and we decide to vote on them using the Enthusiam method we developed to select our Big Ideas.

Action: Cinzia and Marsha will list the themes identified here on the wiki by Wednesday morning (done!). All Paraders can modify the themes to achieve a final list by this Sunday. We will be able to vote next week on the finalised list. All info here: Public Themes


Item 4: Parade's goals

To discuss: Should we use strategy building tools?

Cinzia's presentation at the PubliCamp encompassed elements from newtactics.org. Should we apply this tools to issues of publicness? And to clarifying our goals for Parade? The general feeling seems to be that these methods are more apt for activism. Parade itself will be a form of 'performing the public'. It does not target outside goals, and the language of goals does not seem right in this context. Marsha feels is more 'experimantal' than goal oriented.


Item 5: Any Other Business (AOB)

To discuss: Where do we go from here? People and stuff.


PEOPLE: We need to think who we want to invite in relation to the themes we have identified. We also need to clarify in which cases we are commissioning work/projects and /or initiating collaborations.

Cinzia and Marsha describe Joanna R. initial reaction to the space and her first proposal.

Metod suggests we should invite some social workers, as they are in touch with those who *really* use public space (homeless, etc.)

Action: Marsha will research Ubuntu experts and liaise with Basia at SOAS.

STUFF IN SPACE: Ken suggests an irrugular 'grid' formed of triangular modules - determined by the support - and various covers stretched between them. We imagine the cover as porous and 'shonky' (?) - a street market aesthetic. Some areas will be water-tight, but not the whole structure. We will need to care for it - enact the public - and it will be adaptable to uses. The building will develop in relation to the activities. It will be easy to 'unhook' some sections and have other structures 'stick out' of it. There will be scope for separate 'buildings' by, for example, Martin and Volka. Once we have an idea of the materials and general shape, Ken will contact Arup for consultation on safety.

Action: Kuba will source banners from Polish building adverts.

We will need to build:

  • waterproof boxes for AV equipment
  • Toilets
  • A common space for sharing with large number of people
  • A spacial indicator for the BarCamp.

We need to provide a definitive budget and project description for AI by September. The budget should be in two main sections: Moneys for structures, and moneys for speakers. Some support might come from Chelsea - Neil has been trying to link Parade with the launch of the University of the Arts graduate school and share in their budget. We will know more in September.

Action: Ken will draft a budget on the week starting Monday 13th July. (Thank you, Ken!)


Item 6: Any Other Business (AOB)

To discuss: Free University.

At the very last minute, Kuba reminds us that we are invited to run an event in Warsaw as part of the Free University project. It should be around mid-October, and there should be enough funding for 3 flights. Kuba will keep us posted. There is quite a lot of enthusiasm for this ...

18th September

Royal Festival Hall: 2:00-4:00
In attendance: Ben, Cinzia, Neil, Marsha, Metod, Michaela
Chair: Cinzia
Minutes: Marsha

Item 1: Where are we with the Parade project

To discuss: re-cap and gauge commitment to Parade

Generalized sense enthusiasm has dwindled

  • Potential collaborators have not actioned
  • Paraders cannot commit in the ways necessary to make this a big event
  • Cinzia is very keen and has been approaching people she said she would
  • Michaela is very keen but is writing up her PhD
  • Metod is very hectic over the next few months, with a show in China, etc.
  • Neil is still keen but has lost some enthusiasm owing to a lack of response from potential collaborators
  • Marsha is keen but cannot commit to writing funding proposals as she’s in the last year of her PhD
  • Ken is committed but “time poor” owing to his teaching load

It seems we need to recalibrate our expectations

  • Chelsea has been in the process of (re)thinking how it runs the graduate school; we’re unsure we’re going to have money…no decisions for the last nine months
  • Why hasn’t Parade been built into the program? The structure in Chelsea is not in place to be able to support our ambitions.
  • Cinzia: connected with The Engine Room and they seem interested
  • Michaela: wonders about cultivating a different ambition – and using our established networks, also writing applications based on past work as an index of work to come. PubliCamp good example of bringing people together. Gasworks: well-established network and "speaks the same language"
  • Metod: wonders about formal considerations: tensions between having a “slot/stall” and creating “collaborations”. People may be initially enthusiastic but they don’t want to invest a lot of time organizing. We’re thinking about building a public space and inhabiting it as a public(s)…but the structure is too open and we don’t know what we want to do…
  • Neil: observes the situation is more complex. Potential partners said they’d build Parade into their curricula, but there have been no concrete responses.
Any one of us could organize an event; what we wanted to do with Parade, however, was different. We wanted to a) develop it in collaboration with others; and b) develop it publicly, online. But this isn’t happening. The enthusiasm index isn’t working…it’s a struggle to keep the ethic going and our plans transparent.
  • Ben: asserts that transparency is one thing but this shouldn’t get in the way of driving the project forward
  • For Neil, this project as the whole of CP - has also been about risk, the possibility it might fail, the public may fail to constitute itself.
  • Marsha: observes she doesn’t have the same sense of Parade – some parts may be risky; others less so.
  • Cinzia: Wonders how we still want to work with both formal and informal gathering modes. Also, we may rethink duration: Perhaps we just do a three day event with a shorter build-up.
  • Marsha: suggests we bring together various forms - hybrid space/place: market of ideas, barcamp, maybe we run a conference in parallel
  • Michaela: is interested in it being like an architectural conversation that develops over time. She imagines looking at the parade ground over a few days and observing changes…
  • Neil: says we've had conversations about infrastructure – it’s not just about being in public, it’s about building a structure and inhabiting the public.

Item 2: Planning Parade

To discuss: who is going to do what

Various people observe we’ve done a massive amount of work and yet, each time we meet, we seem to start from ground zero – this makes it challenging for all. It seems we’re shooting for a moving target. Also, there are issues around ordering activities

  • We can’t make a budget because we don’t know what we’re doing and yet to impose some kind of form on this event from the onset seems antithetical to Parade’s ethic, which is about developing the initiative responsively and tracking this progress online.
  • Neil feels we need to be specific about what we need for funding purposes. Will we buy 25 umbrellas?
  • Cinzia: has liaised with Ken for a budget, but Ken has been too busy to work on it.
  • Cinzia: notes we have 30 weeks – not a lot of time to apply for monies
  • It seems we have to re-think the Polish connection, as we can’t seem to move forward on funding. Neil agrees to draft an email to Kuba.
  • Marsha: thinks this might become a missed opportunity but is not in a position to action; Neil doesn't believe we should just take the opportunity because it's there.
  • It’s agreed that we spend some more time thinking about how to proceed.

Item 3; WUW - Slow University of Warsaw

To discuss: What will we contribute to the Open University project in Warsaw? A barcamp, market of ideas kind of thing? And if so about what? - Kuba suggests one of the themes from the enthusiasm index.

  • We agree to do a barcamp around theme 6 from our enthusiasm index: The Public Body. We want to define a question, which will form the central point of the BarCamp.
  • We’ll be thinking about this in relation to the aims and objectives of WUW. Also, it’s agreed we’ll chat to Kuba about doing this site specifically…somewhere in Warsaw that might activate the theme.
  • We agree to fly on Friday the 16th of October and Return on Monday the 19th of October, in the morning.

Item 4: Funding?

To discuss: Update and further planning

  • We need to move on Arts Council...but need greater clarity first, and someone with enough time and energy to work on it.

Item 5: Any Other Business (AOB)

To discuss: BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CONTENT (This didn't [really] happen)

  • Cinzia has paid the server hosting from the Disclosures fees that she is holding and started the 2009-2010 budget on the wiki.
  • Ben, Cinzia, Neil and Marsha have a fascinating discussion around “the big push,” interest and investment – Where does the push come from to make something happen? Why invest in something? Do we accept failure all the way through? Considerations of self-interest…basic expectations related to cause and effect, and motivations to invest/not invest in the common good.
  • Perhaps Ben would like to contribute to the barcamp remotely?
  • Cinzia talks about disease in the public body - blindness to the self-interest embodied in constituting the public. (shades of Vocabulaboratories?)


Actions:

  • Neil will start a Public Body barcamp page on the wiki
  • Neil will draft an email to Kuba about the Polish connection
  • Cinzia will look into flights to Warsaw [done]

Monday 5th October 2009

LOCATION 11 am at the Royal Festival Hall, Southbank London</blockquote>


Present: Ken, Cinzia, Neil and Marsha

Chair: Neil

Minute Taker: Cinzia


We start with Item 3:

Item 3; Parade Summary


To discuss: Let's sketch the image/plans we have in mind now for a downsized Parade. Ken will join us too to talk about re-thinking the structure(s) and involving his students


We catch up with where we are, a downsized structure and a barcamp, with market of ideas, and other presentation formats - like soapboxes, chairs, megaphones.
We move the accent from different modes of assembly to different forms of address.
We might still consider a traditional form of 'conference', but perhaps on a more intimate scale.
Ken has refined the drawings of the DIY possible Parade structures and roughly calculated costs possible Parade structure. He is suggesting to use easy-to handle materials (polythene sheets, 4x2 instead of cardboard tubes), which might also be re-used - although Chelsea is poor in storage space. Missing from the quote are van hire and contingencies.
He has also been talking to James Leary (?), who runs a relevant Chelsea BA, and he is keen to involve his students too.
Neil suggests we might still hire a few large umbrellas to complement our structure as spaces for others to operate.
We think there is a longer discussion about how this activity will feedback into CP ... for another time. We discuss linking with the Graduate School Festival and the permeability of Chelsea research clusters.
We confirm that we will hold an open event on the 22-23 May, allowing a week before to experiment with the set-up and a week after for students and others to use the structure and for take-down. We will reconsider with Kuba our links with AMI.

We all feel regenerated by this visible and tangible contribution!

ACTIONS:

  • Neil will copy, scan, post the drawings on the wiki and approach the new Graduate School, as well as look into applying for ACE funding.
  • Ken will formalise the quote and e-mail it to the working group
  • Ken will propose the structure as a student project when the new MA starts next week.
  • Marsha has already contacted Ewelina at TRAIN and info about talks has been circulated


Item 1: The Public Body as a theme for our second Public Body barcamp


To discuss: Thoughts on previous publicamp - how we might build on this experience.
Also, any thoughts on who wants to do what in terms of faciliation?
Draft list of practical concerns to send to Kuba. And any ideas about who is presenting on what issues?
Does Kuba have a location established? yes its a famous cafe
Marsha wants to know if there will be any AV support and/or power for, a digital presentation.........................or if we're going old school/low tech.

We discuss the various meanings of 'Public Body' and try to be sensitive to language barriers.

ACTIONS:

  • We will finalise a short text for Kuba as invitation to the Public Body barcamp by 9pm on Wednesday 7th October
  • Cinzia will ask Kuba for feedback from the BarCamp they have already held as part of WUW.
  • Cinzia will liaise with Ben and suggest a recorded/long distance/written contribution to the Public Body barcamp.

Item 2: Social Relations and Self Organization

To discuss: social relations and self organization in relation to CP and in anticipation of Poland. Hopefully we'll have more news from Kuba about if/when we're presenting on this in Warsaw.

We are thinking about a multivoice presentation, in the style of the Brechtian/pecha kucha Introduction at Disclosures, but without the pecha kucha tight format. Neil will talk about the origins of CP, whilst Marsha and Cinzia will intervene, disagree and voice the present developments. Marsha notes that in public we usually suppress differences of positions - we will make a conscious effort not to do this.
We think that this session will take place on Friday evening when we first arrive, and that Michaela will probably arrive later. We will revise our plans if we get different info from Kuba.


ACTIONS:

  • Neil will start a page for the CP presentation Kuba has suggested

Public Body Barcamp 17th October 2009

What; Public Body Barcamp
When; 17th October
Where; Nowy Wspanialy Świat (former Nowy Świat cafe), ul. Nowy Świat 63 Warsaw

Jointly facilitated by Critical Practice and the Free Slow University of Warsaw, the Public Body BarCamp is an encounter open to anyone concerned with notions of being-in-public, and who wishes to explore ideas about the public body. We proposed the themes of ;

1. Bodies in public and the socialization of space: - how public space caters to some bodies and not others.

2. What kind of subjects/bodies/genders/races and ablilities are authorized to enact the public. And how?
3. What kind of groups are included / excluded from the Public - like the Vietnamese community in Warsaw, and the (general) invisibility of disability.

4. What infrastructures - utilities / institutions / technologies / knowledges - are necessary to facilitate a public body

Open Lecture Series

Critical Practice collaborated with the TrAIN research centre on a series of presentations, where we could invite some of the artists, architects and curators we were working with to share their experiences, visit the site and blah, blah, blah

Open Lecture Series: 1

Date: Wednesday 02 December 2009
Location: Lecture Theatre Chelsea College of Arts and Design, 16 John Islip Street, SW1P 4JU

Joanna Warsza will discuss her curated series of live art projects The Finissage of Stadium X and the related reader Stadium X — A Place That Never Was. Both projects were inspired by the heterotopic logic of Warsaw’s 10th-Anniversary Stadium, and its long-standing (non-) presence in the middle of the city. Built in 1955 from the rubble of a war-devastated capital, in the early 1990s the stadium fell into ruin, being ‘revived’ by Vietnamese and Russian traders. Since then the Stadium and the open-air market surrounding it have become an Asian town, a primeval garden, a realm of discount shopping, a storehouse of biographies and urban legends, a spontaneous piece of Land-Art, or a work camp for archaeologists and botanists.

Open Lecture Series: 2

Date:' Monday January 25, 2010
Location: Lecture Theatre Chelsea College of Arts and Design
16 John Islip Street
SW1P 4JU

Aleksandra Wasilkowska is a Polish architect with a particular interest in self-organizing structures. She will be presenting a number of her studio’s recent projects, and will introduce her collaborator Michał Piasecki, a specialist in generative procedures. Aleksandra will be collaborating on the Parade Public Modes of Assembly, and forms of Address.

Open Lecture Series: 3

Date: Wednesday 10 February
Location: Lecture Theatre Chelsea College of Arts and Design
16 John Islip Street
SW1P 4JU
Joanna Rajkowska (born in Bydgoszcz, Poland) is an author of objects, films, installations, ephemeral actions, as well as interventions in public space. Her works reflect changes in the reception and expectations towards art and its social functions, referring to the complexity of identity problems affecting Eastern European countries following their economic and political transformation of the 1990s.

Rajkowska's most widely discussed works: Pozdrowienia z Alej jerozolimskich/ Greetings from Jerusalem Avenue (2002-2009) and Dotleniacz/ Oxygenator (2006-2007) functioned as contemporary ‘social sculptures,' activating layers of meanings (both historical and ideological), provoking conflicts, serving as specific platforms interwoven into the urban tissue of Warsaw, being used for debates, arguments and manifestations. These works might also be considered as merely pretexts for discussion about the issues of land control and potential forms in which collective memory might be manifested as public monuments. As Joanna Rajkowska's works materialise through ‘urban legends,' press-cuttings, gossips and media debates, their form is always ‘unfinished,' so there is the possibility they will evolve and mutate, even against the artist's initial intentions.


26 March 2010

LOCATION: Research: E Block, Chelsea College of Art & Design, London

RE: Parade

Marsha Bradfield chaired the meeting, Scott Schwager recorded it

Attendees:
Robin Bhattacharya, Ken Wilder, Neil Cummings, Scott Schwager, Kuba Szreder, Natalia Romik, Eszer Steierhoffer, Marsha Bradfield, Ewolina Warner

Item 2. Cinzia meeting with Joanna.

Kuba: briefed meeting. They would like to start ASAP. Need a budget for this. Regarding curtains, they discussed frames. Neil’s idea was mentioned.

Ken: Maybe a suspension idea is right. Maybe scaffolding poles needed.

Neil: Why go to effort of hanging?

Kuba: Aesthetically is not a problem to attach to building but additional structure is too much effort

Marsha: We could ask to see more and see what she says

Marsha: There is a “very strong vertical thrust” in the practice so there may a sensibility this direction

Kuba: I will send an email regarding request for more variety

Ewolina: She can invoice us now as she did with TRAIN.

Ewolina: Will take another 2 weeks to get the agreement signed due to legal points. The main point is whether it’s under Polish or English jurisdiction.

Marsha: How much money is in CP budget?

Neil: £2850

We agreed it’s a good idea to advance £1000 from research budget to start production and for them to send us a more detailed invoice.

Ken: Will need to do a risk assessment. Including, what do we do overnight with the crates

Item 3: Food

Neil: Mike who was in critical practice and specializes in decadent sustainability.
Should we use him?
Interested in ethical food being glamorous and seductive not gruel.

It was decided we’d like Mike on board for food and drinks.

Kuba: Would suggest we pay for food. We could suggest a minimum budget.
We estimate 100 people at £5pp. Snacks would be of interest.
He should invoice us for Decadence Sustainables for £500.

Ewolina: University has a strict policy on food and drinks. The food is art, We pay a commission fee for art and it comes back as food

Ken: There was interest in the MAs. They could have stalls for Sunadays Markets. Ken will liaise with reps for this.

Scott: Think Laura has 4 big green buckets for drinks

Item 4: Graphic Identity

Marsha reported she contacted Abbey and has not heard back.

Robin said he could design the e-flyer for Wednesday.

Neil: These are assembly modes of address.

Item 5: Crates

Neil found a crate manufacturer. Alex Baird and Sons. Eric, one of the sons, is very passionate and has found a dairy that he supplies crates to who will rent 4320 crates in two container trucks, which are £420 for one way of each journey. Willing to rent the crates for 80p. Total ends up roughly at £7000. Black with whatever colours come. They stack better and or more durable than strong. Also he is interested in how we joined them together. He will supply 20,000 ties for £260.

Ken: Not convinced about having so much of the piece as high as in the image. Better to have more of it at the bottom.

Natalia: Will they be comfortable?

All: Some kind of cushions may be provided.

Neil: The photomontage could be more colourful and could appeal more to sponsors.

Kuba: Who will make them?

Ken: I can nail them.

Kuba: They need some guidelines for building it.

Ken: Will write something. His students would like to have it lighter and more fun.

Kuba: They need to understand this is not a modernist structure but one that will be used and people can build ceilings on if they need it.

Scott: Will it be secured?

Ken: We are going to think about that.

Ken: How do you want to communicate in a barcamp?

Needs to be thought of.

Item 6: Barcamp and market participants

Marsha: Should we have wiki and sign up pages?

Marsha says Adam doesn’t feel its right time for him to contribute

Neil: Micropolitics are asking about money.
Is there a fee?
Some people haven’t replied to the invite as yet.

Marsha: There’s 14 yes RSVP for market of ideas.

Kuba: plus Polish people there’s 17-18.

Neil: Met people from the Polish institute. And they would love to help promote the event by including in their leaflets, e-mailing, and don’t see how they can give monetary support.

Kuba: Make it more of an in situ situation.

Marsha: Should we ask Nigel Carrington to help?

Ewolina: The UAL law team has no lawyers on it.
It has legal advisors.
There are some stiff rules.
we all wince in pain

Neil: Could Ewolina exert pressure to move it forward?

Marsha: Could we table sharpening the barcamps up for the next meeting?

Neil: Will have a roaming structure of 12-15 people in barcamps. We feel it works best with that many people. Need to start encouraging people to come and participate. This is different from the market of ideas where we are inviting people to have a stall.

Esther: There’s a big group at RCA that might be interested and she can invite them. Also, the ‘this is not a gateway’ may be interested. May be nice to try to link these to projects. Anatomy of a Street is going to take over some vacant shops in a market street and might be nice to feed into that. On April 1, there is a discussion in the Goska Macuga space in Whitechapel.

Neil: To emphasize we feel the richer we can make it the better it will be for everyone.

Kuba: There’s a link, which people can update and keep up to date.

Neil will offer Micropolitics £100.

Item 7: AOB

Marsha: We haven’t talked publicness for a while

Neil: The closer it gets it gets more functional in discussion but would be a good idea to refresh the barcamp themes.

Kuba: Friday night opening / launch event. Could make this more our internal event, low-key. Some drinks, picnic. Ask Ben and Eileen (open music archive) to have some details.

Marsha: Some kind of potluck picnic instead of pizza.

Neil: Open music archive. They have been sourcing out open source music then remixing and inviting other people to. They can play a variety of music as they have CDs of it.

Kuba: So open source music and potluck are good for public idea of Parade.

For the diary: 15 April Ben and Eileen have an open music archive opening in Gasworks. 15 April 2pm, meeting in Neil’s office to work on barcamp themes and the update. Agenda: A technical list. i.e. how may sheets?

Kuba thinks we should tell people its low-tech.

Ken: There could be a space to project into if we use heavy fabric.


15th April 2010

Where: Chelsea, 2:00-5:15 In Attendance: Neil Cummings, Ken Wilder, Ewelina Warner, Marsha Bradfield, Mike Knowles, Scott Schwager, Kuba Szreder, Takako Hasegawa, Michaela Ross
Chair: Neil
Minutes: Marsha and Scott:
Find the agenda here

ACTIONS:

  • Mike will come back to us with the costing on April 22, 2010
  • All to feedback on tool to Michal by Friday, April 16, 2010
  • Kuba to contact Public Works
  • Marsha to approach ICFAR about money for documentation
  • Marsha to contact Joanna
  • Marsha to contact Julie about the Knot Barcamp details
  • All to continue confirming contributors to the market
  • Sharpen the barcamp themes: deadline - April 23, 2010.

Food: discussed with Mike Knowles

  • Assembly will be chaotic - won't be heavily structured (emergent); we'll let the thing form and reform...
  • Mike knows about the supply chain and the impact it has - ethic of not depleting the public domain
  • We could decide to advance the capital
  • People will be quite active in the morning and afternoon - Mike's thinking of a structure - for people receive food - should be recursive - experience of the receiving the meal should work with the themes of the day while also be relaxing
  • Getting people together to congregate to eat = already a discursive of the public
  • Would be a day's prep and then the morning of the day plus R&D time...and Mike's other partners need help to be paid and we will need to access to a kitchen - can't cook from house - practical bind - two-ring cooker
  • Cooking in public? Cook outside
  • Would we like to cook together? At the end of the day...And we'd have snacks to tide people over?
  • Running water - available from the inside
  • Mike is an artist and he's being commissioned
  • We agree we should aim to eat at 1:00 - Mike needs to leave at 3:30
  • Possibility of doing prep in public - on the Friday evening - or not...Doing it live and in public would be ideal.
  • Where will the money come from? Which aspect of the budget.
  • We agree that Mike comes back with a more accurate costing and plan and we can make a decision
  • Come back with costing for the plates, drinks and food and that's broken down - We'll hear from Mike by April 22, 2010
  • Mike: If it rains? Service/plates?
  • Neil: You’ll be dry.

Item 1: Customization of Parade

  • Neil demonstrated the tool on mac.
  • Ken: It’s just one way of preparing a plan.
  • Marsha: We’re stuck on the paint tool.
  • It was decided to return to this at the end - though we never managed to get back to it owing to time constraints

Item 2: Crates for structure

  • Neil spoke to Eric, £0.90p is the higher rate per crate for expenses for two weeks. Total around £6000. Eric can supply 40,000 cable ties at that price included.
  • Payment on collection.
  • Ken: What’s the cost if any go missing? He will have them manufactured and then has a buyer for them after we use them, in November.
  • Neil: It will be the crate shown and black.
  • Ken: Are we going to deal with the customizing of the chairs.
  • Scott: Crates are like seeds. Or roots. Could think of this as if building a rhizome or spreading seeds. One follow on of the market of ideas is that the crates are distributed after. They will go into the real market bringing their birth in the history of idea and for the market of ideas with them. One idea, with a small amount of work, would be to customise the crates. Maybe we could facilitate customizing such as with tags, spray, imprint.
  • Marsha: Would you like to facilitate this Scott?
  • Scott: It’s an initial idea I’ve mentioned and I’m happy to work with others to make it happen some how.
  • Tokako:This year’s theme is going to be performance or theatre. Can the workshop come up with the suitable structure for the theatre idea?
  • Ken: I think quite a few groups would want to reconstruct the crates and that could even be part of the experience.
  • Kuba: Polish architects would like to have some of the column’s fixed to create a kind of grid on which to customize own stalls or seminars. Maybe Ken could feed back to them that it’s important for them to consider that we cannot accept that so many go into the grid and that we need 30-40 stalls not 7-8 tables.
  • Tokako: It’s nice as it’s a market of ideas for the theatre to be able to come up with what it needs as well.
  • Ken: The other way of customizing them it to put things in them because they have all the gaps
  • Kuba: Ola said she wants to know how exactly the process of building is envisioned. I have the feeling the architects will have a plan for the process of building.
  • Ken: are the stalls relating and in a grid.
  • Neil: We are talking about two things. The market of ideas is a flatter horizontal thing.

Item 3: Marsha’s 5 minute intervention

  • In the word’s of Abba I have a dream, a song to sing …. What is the impulse behind it and why …
  • Kuba remembers thinking of this around a year and a half ago.
  • Marsha: It was called public space.
  • Kuba: It was the moment when I was trying to ... Polish Year. 2008. I was quite fresh after the experience of making passengers. Then we started to envision how it could grow. To shape public. Being public. Not to copy modes of public assembly.
  • Neil read from minutes of the previous meeting where the idea was conceived in October 2008
  • Neil: I have strong images of assembling, disassembling.
  • Ken: For me, it's aggregating. But taking on Scott’s idea, it’s the fact that it’s from a material from the real world that goes back into the real world.
  • Kuba: Constructing an environment that’s facilitating a more horizontal exchange. More of an event than conference. That we also shape the public space. Then think about the architecture that hosts it. Not only about what we talk but how. Self emergence.
  • Michaela: This idea of dispersal. What happens afterwards, what’s understood through the shaping of this type of event.
  • Kuba: Could we have a point in the agenda about what happens afterwards.
  • Marsha brought up the the earlier idea of a carnival. Also, that someone wants to be a part of Parade and know: can they do something like break into Chelsea College?
  • Neil: "No." We’re going to organise a great event in the middle of the Parade. What’s there to protest about.

Item 4: Discuss contributors to Parade

  • Neil: We have 20 people confirmed
  • Marsha: We can spend 5 minutes after to show wiki RE contributors to parade
  • Takako: Is there some indication of materials that the architects would dislike
  • Kuba: Customization gives an idea of how it functions. If we have 30 crates per stall. But some people may want more or fewer.
  • Neil: Crates can’t be damaged.
  • Scott: Could have a stall where provide numbers and if people want can put them on the crates and then put the numbers on a website, like Paradenumbers and then
  • Kuba: Could we give Public Works some money for transport.
  • £150 yes.
  • Malcolm Quinn yes.
  • Geoff Cox would like to come and it fits with interest in Code and Conflict.
  • Microsillons would like a stall. Should we offer them a stall.
  • Kuba: David Peers: are they allowed to sell anything if it’s connected with the ideas?
  • Neil: We want those whose commerce is related to the themes.
  • Neil: We don’t have any urbanists, geographers etc. confirmed.Does anyone know any who want to come?

Item 5: Parade Bar Camp

  • Marsha I’m going to draft something that articulates what’s a Bar Camp.
  • Neil: Next point would be to send out the times.
  • Kuba: If we make it too complex then it’s hard to express that anyone other than us will
  • Ken: Separate Being in Public from Being in Public
  • Kuba: Feeling from the Barcamps in Warsaw. Provide an easy
  • We discussed and changed the titles.
  • Kuba: Why should we decide in advance what people will talk about?
  • Marsha: It’s our job to decide what the themes are that we’re interested in and then people can go to the one we discuss.
  • Neil: Suggests that by next Thursday 22 April we work on them until we’re happy with them.
  • Update from Joanna. Things are stalled. Funds were late.

Item 6 Knot

  • Kuba talked about the last day of Knot in Berlin. It could have the context of self-reflection, some talk about experiences and question of whether it’s an advantageous or disadvantageous.
  • Kuba suggested meeting with Joanna
  • Who can go to Berlin 28 May: Neil, Marsha, Michele, Scott.
  • Kuba gave a brief on the events in Berlin including sports competition, Bar Camp, performance…
  • We agreed the name of the barcamp would be the 'Public Practice BarCamp'

Schedule

26 May take down 27 May back up day and collection of crates 28 back up day

AOB

  • Items: Budget, Draw, and Documentation
  • Budget. Orianna promised £5000 from CCW fund. So budget from CCW is £8000 includes £5000 and £3000. Let’s discuss at the next meeting. £500 to come out of honoraries to UK public.
  • Kuba: Do we have any idea how much is costs to document this or ideas to do that?
  • Marsha: ICFAR has a history of documenting. Are theire funds to photo-document and edit? Can we ask them too?
  • Marsha plans if time allows to create a presence on Facebook.
  • Neil: To decide on the kind of documentation should ask: What’s the documentation for? What do we want it to do? Form to follow what function of what it's to do.
  • Marsha: One thing is for it to be an internal record for us.

Items for the next meeting

  • Documentation
  • Takako knows a publication called Sexy Machinery and suggests it as a good one to look at as a format.
  • Need to get stuff onto the Wiki not only e-mails.
  • Next meeting is 26 April Monday 3pm.

The notes are the recorders' summary of points, not quotations



April 26, 2010


LOCATION Research Office, E-Block, Chelsea College of Art and Design, Millbank

Subject: Parade

Agenda

The meeting was chaired by Marsha Bradfield and minuted by Scott Schwager.
The meeting opened at 3pm and finished at 4:30pm.

The meeting was attended by Ewelina Warner, Marsha Bradfield, Michaela Ross, Neil Cummings, Scott Schwager, Ken Wilder


Item 1: Budget

To discuss: how to manage the budget, and what to spend it on
Ewelina briefed the meeting on the budget. Neil mentioned the need for contingency and that would be out of 13 (honoraries of UK participants).

A preliminary list of budget awards was recorded including: The People Speak £150, Micropolitics, £100; Italian theorists tbc. Public works tbc towards transportation. Catering £500 advance from the Honorary of UK participants. £250 Kuba.

£1300 for design. Sarah Debondt will be invited to do design.

Ewelina ran through the budget itemised. Requested receipts emailed to her.

1. Honorary of architects £2600
2. Cost of installing artist structure £8250
3. Honorary of PL artist £1000
4. Cost of installing new commissioned work £3000
5. Honoraries of PL artists for market of ideas 3 people) £1800
6. Honoraries of PL Theoreticians for market of ideas (7 people) £2800
7. Cost of travel of PL curator in May £250
8. Honorary of production assistant from UK £1500 (up to on hourly rate)
9. Honorary of PR assistant from UK £1500
10. Honorary of rental of Parade Ground (in kind) £60,000
11. Costs of Chelsea College building staff £500 (likely £480)
12. Cost of materials for student workshops £600
13. Honoaries of UK participants (inclusive Marsha) £3000
14. Costs of print and design of Parade flyer £1300

Item 2: Documentation

To discuss: Documentation of Parade - Producing a resource?

Marsha briefed the meeting. She’s written to ICFAR to get a quote for videoing and proposal of £1000 made.

Michaela mentioned the first year group called SALT could do something.

Neil thought we could encourage a PR person to have all the links.

Could agree a hashtag beforehand.

After the Open Congress a reader was published as a place for people to reflect.

What would it mean to produce an AHRC outcome? Produce something measurable as AHRC criteria.

Action for PR person/contact person: email her contact list, personalize that.

Marsha to find 3-5 roving reporters.

Item 3: Food for Saturday

Marsha to find 3-5 roving reporters.
To discuss: Mike's feedback on food.
Neil thinks budget is high for meat. £75 suggested.

Item 4: Contributors

Marsha to find 3-5 roving reporters.
To discuss: Quick update on Bar Camp and market contributors

Marsha briefed that we’ve heard back from Knot. Neil and Marsha have sent everyone’s names.

Ken and Neil had a meeting with Alan Graham, who suggested we’d have a lot of foot traffic.


Geoff Cox (in Denmark) is interested. Doing an on-line petition form.
Bodna
Dr. Malcolm Quinn
MA Students
microsillons to collaboratively develop a poster
et. al.

Item 5: Publicity
To discuss: New eflyer and print with program. Item was discussed. Action point below.
Item 6: Any Other Business (AOB)

To discuss: BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CONTENT

We are going to need more time. Maybe make a call to BA students to be involved.

NEXT MEETINGS / and trucks unloading.

Wednesday 5th May 2pm

Monday 10th May 5pm

Friday 14th May 8am crates arrive; truck unloading

ACTION POINTS

Action Point: Neil to collate and e-mail Ewolina budget awards as they’re made.
Action point: Marsha to make a call to research students
Action point: Neil to mention at FLAG
Action Point: Ken could send something to an architectural magazine or similar that may have something of interest afterwards.
Action Point: Marsha to find out about Hash Tank.
Action Point: Marsha would be interested in putting together a kit.
Action point: to send to e-flyer Sarah Tuesday; Neil to get e-mail / contact her.
Action Point: Michaela to send pictures to the architect from FLAG.
Action Point: Edit equipment list
Action Point: Marsha to find 3-5 roving reporters.

Deadline: Friday April 30 to agree the Parade Pamphlets, which has the working title Parade Bar camp invitation.


Wednesday, 5 May 2010

LOCATION 2pm - 4pm, Research Office, Chelsea College of Art and Design, Millbank
ORGANIZATION: Marsha Bradfield chaired the meeting and Scott Schwager took Minutes.
IN ATTENDANCE: Neil Cummings, Marsha Bradfield and Scott Schwager were present.
AGENDA: Linked here
Return to Main Page * Parade * Parade Agendas and Minutes



Item 1: Update on the pamphlet

Neil met with designer who wanted to design something interesting and useful.

We saw the draft copy of the designer’s proposal. Designer and Neil talked about making it more interesting when it’s a pamphlet. The green color looked great.

We will get 600 folded and 600 not folded.

Neil is liaising with designer to get PDF for Friday.

Item 2: Miriam Kings - PR

Marsha contacted Miriam RE PR and thought we should pay her more. Miriam plans to go to events ahead to distribute fliers and subcontract others on the day to hand out the fliers.

It was decided to offer her £20.

Item 3: Stall Holder Requirement Form

Would be good to have wireless internet access in the Parade and access to power outlets.


Item 4: Content

Discussed briefly.


Item 5: Any Other Business

The Parade Ground is booked for Friday night by Sonya Dyer, of External Relations, 02075147948. We are trying to access her she but does not seem to be present.

The list of equipment was discussed.

Marsha briefed on the Documentation in terms of creating a time lapse.

One of the facilitators to Bar Camp is Jack Tan and he would like to meet at the RCA.

Scott mentioned an idea to track where the ideas go by finding out where the participants in the Barcamps go in the next 12 months (instead of trying to track where the milk crates go) and it was decided to discuss this outside the meeting but that it may work with the Hash tech efforts

ACTION POINTS

Action Point: Neil to ask Alan Graham about wireless hotspots.

Action Point: Marsha to contact Ken RE Cushions

Action Point: Neil to buy clippers on Brick Lane

Action Point: Marsha to email Open Music Archive regarding what equipment they need for Friday night and Mike regarding needs for cooking.



Monday, 10 May 2010

LOCATION 5pm - 7pm Research Office, Chelsea College of Art and Design, Millbank
ORGANIZATION: Cinzia Cremona chaired the meeting and Scott Schwager took Minutes.
IN ATTENDANCE: Neil Cummings, Marsha Bradfield, Eszther Steirhoffer, Miriam Kings, Cinzia Zremona, Ken Wilder and Scott Schwager were present.



Action points from previous meetings:

  • Neil to ask Alan Graham about wireless hotspots.
  • Marsha to contact Ken RE Cushions
  • Neil to buy wire cutters & pliers on Brick Lane.
  • Marsha to email Open Music Archive regarding what equipment they need for Friday night
  • Marsha to contact Mike regarding needs for cooking
  • Marsha to contact people from SALT about being roving reporters

ITEM 1: Reviewing the e-flyer and poster

  • The flyer’s been updated. Pending addition of a logo and name.
  • 1000 A5 flyers and 500 posters are being printed for Thursday/Friday.
  • Last-minute changes are difficult given deadlines. There is a balance in the final run-up, between enabling all individuals - our contributors, our partners, our funders, to sign off on each change and allowing time to market properly. With the flyer needed for the weekend, Neil will contact Kuba and AMI about any final additional last-minute changes further to calls for edits / input on the wiki and in recent meetings over the past few weeks...

ITEM 2: Crates and structure

  • 4320 crates coming Saturday 15th, 10am and 6 people can unload 2160 crates in 30 minutes.
  • The crates will have barriers around them for security and health and safety
  • 40,000 cable ties coming on Thursday 13th
  • Could we get a core plan / typology of the basic elements - we want to be organized and engage all our partners, including Ken's students

ITEM 3: Marketing

  • Miriam briefed the meeting on the marketing. Plans to list on websites and use specific tags on things like spoonfed.
  • Get listing out in as many places as possible. Wants to get a lot of people physically there. E-artsnow.
  • Miriam will need the press release for this.
  • Miriam to cut and paste to do a separate press release.
  • Miriam will let people know about specific stalls they may want to see.
  • Resonance FM. Contact of Marsha to contact Patrick Brill to mention on his Friday show.
  • RE Twitter blogging Miriam will set up a schedule of tweets
  • Our tag is #parade10
  • Research structure, activists, artists are major groups to invite.

ITEM 4: Pillow prototype

  • Marsha showed a possible version comprised of something foamy in a cotton tote. Everyone loved it: Green bag with Critical Practice stencil and IKEA pillow - or foam rubber
  • Marsha to contact Ken's rubber retailer and order 200 bags
  • Neil agrees to make the stencil
  • Eszter agrees to help paint the bags
  • The group agrees we'll paint our logo in black on the green bags

ITEM 5: AOB

  • SALT are onboard to be roving reporters.
  • We have 31 stalls.
  • White boards - Marsha will order 15 flip charts, 40 pens and will contact Michaela about the whiteboards
  • Eszter plans to continue to be agent at RCA.
  • Eszter raises some really interesting questions about documentation and agrees to introduce Marsha to Department21, as they have lots of critical ideas about documentation
  • It's impossible to synthesize or make a definitive document as there are too many dynamics happening at the same time. Besides, there're lots of different perspectives...
  • Idea of roving reporters.
  • Cinzia observed that in the past, note takers can capture fragments, keywords and these have worked very well
  • We need a method statement as part of health and safety.
  • Ola arrives on the 15th and Mihow on the 17th

Action points:

  1. Neil to e-mail e-flier around to use again.
  2. Ken to line up a few student volunteers for Saturday
  3. Scott bring biscuits for Saturday
  4. Ken: to arrange the crates will have barriers around them for security
  5. Ken to deal with Health and Safety
  6. Ken to ask the architects to give instructions for the crates
  7. Marsha to draw up a timetable of building the crates
  8. Ken to order 10 tarps 2x6meters each
  9. Marsha to contact her contact to contact Bob and Roberta Smith to advertise.
  10. Miriam to do a major mail out tomorrow
  11. Marsha to order 200 bags and foam
  12. Neil to make stencil of critical practice
  13. Neil et. Al. to send Marsha some e-mails RE her email for contacts RE stalls
  14. Ken to organize with the students the cakes and snacks.
  15. Marsha to ask Michaela to deliver flipcharts / stands
  16. Cinzia to set up a new page to subscribe to barcamps
  17. Ola to send a project book tomorrow

Next meeting agenda can be found here - only it's not really a meeting. We'll be unloading the crates and experimenting with furniture in anticipation of building.

Monday, 15 May 2010

LOCATION 8am-11am Parade Ground, Chelsea College of Art and Design, Millbank
IN ATTENDANCE: Neil Cummings, Alan Graham, Marsha Bradfield, Ken Wilder, Scott Schwager, Ewelina Warner, Michaela Ross and a team of students were present.


We didn't review the previous action points. Also, this was a very informal meeting; no one chaired and no minutes were taken. Below are just a few reflections...


  • Everyone worked incredibly hard to get the crates unloaded from two massive container trucks
  • We got the first batch done in half an hour; the second batch look slightly longer
  • Scott's biscuits and Neil's drinks were very much appreciated
  • Scott, Ken and Neil and the distributors were instrumental in getting the crates off the truck. Gravity also helped; there were some dramatic moments when the crates wobbled a bit; we need to think of ways to get them back on the truck - a forklift would be good, even a ramp
  • The crates were bungled into units of (?) using flat twine and clips (?) - Two strategies were used to move them: (1) four people to bundle, with each one lifting low down from a corner; (2) loading them onto a small wagon
  • Once off the truck and in the Parade Ground need the grass, the crates were surrounded by barriers
  • Marsha had a good talk with Alan Graham about creating the time-lapse and we've agreed to set it up in E-block in one of the admin offices, where it will be locked in
  • There was an immediate compulsion to climb on the crates as soon as they were all stacked in the center
  • Neil attached two kinds of signs: A program for parade and "cross the barriers at your own risk"
  • Alan, Ken and Scott spent some time brainstorming furniture
  • We tested the pillow prototype and decided
  • The crates look fantastic - very black and rich
  • Neil explained they were made for Parade but will be sold on to dairies afterward
  • We just hope there will be enough
  • Scott, Neil, Ken, Ewelina and Marsha all met afterward to briefly discuss construction next week.
  • Marsha talked about the value of keeping the right-of-way, as this is integral to the site's normal operations
  • Neil spoke about the importance of creating spaces for the barcamps what supported their organization in a semi-circle around some space for display - such as a flip board.
  • Marsha also mentioned that we'd need a way to secure the flip board for the minutes fragments as we don't have easels/stands (But can't we scare of something from Chelsea? It's an art school after all!)
  • We decided to wished to support three barcamps areas - and then possibly have a fourth that's more informal
  • We talked about having ground sheets in the event it rains, so people's backsides and pillows don't get wet as they're sitting around

Action Points:

  • Ken is going to create an overlay to Ola and Michow's design
  • Marsha and Scott will share a set of plans for the building
  • Marsha will order 300 Ikea pillows to go with the 300 bags
  • Marsha will also order 100 larger Ikea pillows for stall holders - they're slightly more comfy and a nice souvenir of the event

Return to Main Page * Parade * Parade Agendas and Minutes

news

The Circular Artefact Working Group
When: 20th September at 6pm
Location: Green Room, Chelsea College of Art and Design
To discuss the moving Image aspect of the project

The Rectangular Artefact Working Group When: 20th September at '6pm
Location: Green Room, Chelsea College of Art and Design
To discuss taking the publication

Metod has instituted File Naming Guidelines for ease of location and assembly of the digital materials. This will make a massive difference in precision and fewer mistakes through the postproduction.

old news

The Circular Artefact Working Group
When: Thursday 8th July at 2pm
Location: Research Office, Chelsea College of Art and Design
To discuss the moving Image aspect of the project

The Rectangular Artefact Working Group When: Thursday 15th July at 4-6pm
Location: Research Office, Chelsea College of Art and Design
To discuss taking the publication
read the minutes of the June meeting

Take a look at BarCamp films from the Satellite Group


Remember the PARADE Launch Evening the Barcamps, or the Market of Ideas