Public works minutes

From Critical Practice Chelsea
Jump to: navigation, search

PRESENT Claire, Amy, Kuba, Neil, Karem, Metod, Sissu, Helen, Li, PublicWorks: Andreas and Carlotta
NOTES: taken by Carlotta

The session plan

1. How to make a variety of market-like stalls
2. Explore the potential of using sustainable and recyclable materials - bamboo, skipped things, unwanted things (unclaimed umbrellas) plastic cable ties, fabrics, etc
3. How to 'unify (?)' the heterogeneous and possibly 'shonky' stalls, to make the market something beautiful.
4. The 'economy' of materials during the assembly process, from sourcing, constructing the event and post event. An ethics of material and labour.
5. The 'flow' of the market itself - how people will pass through, congregate, and experience the market.
6. How to make the stalls/market 'scalable' able to expand and contract as stall holders commit, appear and/or change their mind.
7. Thinking of the stalls/materials as resources for future use.
8. Thinking about a mixed economy of materials. How to organise the construction process? Working with volunteers and non-professional builders.
9. How to sort out the logistics: what happens when
10. Signage - activating the facades of the building and the glass fence
11. Noise - the Parade Ground can be very noisy. Is this something we can mitigate for the speakers corner, for example?
12. Shade/rain cover...let's not tempt fate
13. Taking stock of what we have: A lot of cord for starters


The market is the 11th of July - the stalls/structure needs to be gone by the 13th of July.

Minutes

MORNING:

Andreas: The amount of money is very little. We could collect for a week the materials from the show and use those

Neil: Having a unit that we can prefabricate which would structure the stalls in the market allowing Department of Textiles Design > possibility of a cover for the stalls that could be used as an unifier for the stalls (it would be included in the total budget) 4000 plastic cable tiles, 5 transparent tarpaulin_Not sure about which material will be left over from the degree show.

Cuba: The issue is the time - How much time can we all devote for 7 days in the building site.

Metod: 35% of the people will not need chairs or tables for the stalls.

Andreas: In terms of economy we should spend more time into mobilising existing things, rather then build from scratch, as it's a one day event The roof might be complicated (structurally, and difficulties with the wind..) Finding a elegant way for a localised solution. Reference: Autoprogettazione by Enzo Mari. Manual of furniture construction from very simple cuts

Neil: We can have a blueprint structure and then improvise on top of it

Cuba and Andreas: The issue is time - How much time can we all devote for 7 days in the building site.

All: People available every day on site.

Carlotta: We could re-use the materials from other degree shows from UAL colleges.

Amy: Perhaps we should consider more transportation cost rather that material cost, to collect material from different spaces.

Andreas: It would be nice to have a formal arrangement with a central collective moment. It should have a overall image.

Neil: You shift the labour from the construction to the processing of the old material living less time to the actual production The stalls have to recall a market and look like a market

Andreas: There is the need to know who needs what? How many people need chairs, tables and benches.

Metod: Perhaps we should consider more transportation cost rather that material cost, to collect material from different spaces.

Cuba: In ... we asked to people to prepare signage to announce what they would talk about. It took us 1 hour to assemble 15 station like that. We might use the same textile for roofing and for blankets and pillows.

Neil: There is a route from Tate to the tube that could be maximised as it cuts diagonally the street. The existing market has a

Andreas: If you work with a wire and create tensions for elevations. We could use tarpaulin and cheap textile material with stripes or colours.

Karem: A lot of market have lots of problems (not enough structure stability, wind, rain etc..) and the makeshift solutions normally don't really work

Neil: We should think if we can reuse the stalls for other events.

Andreas: Can we consider the stalls as public furniture that could then stay there longer? Create a LEGACY of the MARKET

Neil: The square is hardly ever used and if they do they put 4 benches out. The only furnitures are provided by a cafe that locks the furniture during the night. The furnitures were there for at least six months and were very well used

Andreas: One way to justify the stay of the stalls over the summer would be that they are actually used. We could park a container somewhere else, fill it with material and then move it to the site. If we can spray on the ground we could create an "Ikea style manual" for people to assemble the stalls

Neil: It's important to know how long takes to make a stall and perhaps what are the different typologies

AFTERNOON:

Andreas: Circle shaped structure in the centre.

Tarpaulin in different shapes and forms.

Neil: We could ask to textiles to join in at the workshop to have their opinion on a possible cover for the structure.

Things that could be included in the design:

ENZO MARI = AUTOPROGETTAZIONE
- Size of the stalls?
- Seating?
- Speakers corner on a small box/step
- Food stalls
- Barbecue
- Pick-nick area
- Cinema?

DATES FOR NEXT MEETING & STALL MAKING WORKSHOP: Meeting at Chelsea Parade Ground - 10am - Tuesday 2nd of June 2015


Return to: Public Works Workshop, 23rd May or TransActing Stalls

TO DO

Stall workshop 10am - Tuesday 2nd of June 2015 Chelsea Parade Ground

1) Find out about recycling some of the material from 2015 Degree Shows in UAL colleges (which finishes the 27th of June). To check with other UAL colleges for re-usable left over material from past shows as well.

2) Neil and Amy and Claire to identify materials to use for the testing workshop on Tuesday 2nd

3) Claire to find out about STORAGE: where can we store the material we collect?

4) Neil to buy Survey Marking Paint to make templates/plans

5) Possibility of building a focal point: using the Banner of Values?

6) Helen and Li to map anchor-points in the square, and power & start playing around with the layout of the stalls in the square

7) We are all to bring (Mari inspired?) stall typology drawings or models. ITS A CONDITION