Meeting Minutes Stalls working group 26th June 2015

From Critical Practice Chelsea
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes

DATE Thursday 26th June 2015
LOCATION Lounge, E block, 10am till 2pm, Chelsea College of Art and Design, Millbank

THOSE PRESENT: Angela, Neil C, Cinzia, Kuba, Andreas, Lee, Marsha
APOLOGIES:
MINUTES:Cinzia


Item 1: PRACTICALITIES OF CONSTRUCTING THE STALLS AND INSTALLING THE MARKET

To discuss: LOGISTICS, MATERIAL TO BUY AND REUSE
Discussed: At the end of the day on Monday, students will be encouraged to put the material they discard from the degree show directly in the CP storage space behind the skip. Neil C will coordinate; Kuba and Karem will be there to help disassemble and prepare the timber to be reused. Andreas advises to store the timber so that similar size pieces are already grouped.

We discussed how to weigh down the stalls to make them stable and resistant to wind. All blocks of stalls will be tied to a hook in the ground. The other sides will be weighed down. Water bags are quite expensive. Water bottles will give a peculiar look to the market and we don't really want that. We decided to use hessian sack.

Andreas plan includes 56 stalls. Some stallholders will build their own structures in between. We want the circle to be porous. We have not yet decided where the speakers corner will be positioned.

We'll need extra furniture: we can use foldable pink chair owned by Chelsea, but they are pink. We will aternate them with white cubes and other chairs. The People's Bureau need at least 20.

Each single stall will be 130x90cm.
Action: Neil C will check if Chelsea already has eye hooks or buy them.
Action: Marsha to check with Shibboleth about some sheets of plywood she might have.
Action: Karem will source some sheets of MDF.
Action: Andreas will calculate how much timber and sheets for surfaces we need. Also how many screws, hessian sacks and sand.
Action: Neil C will order the timber on Monday and organise delivery. Neil will also order hessian sacks, sand, screws, tarpaulins, eye hooks (if needed), bungee rope (or bungees), screw-heads,
Action: Lee will coordinate cutting some timber in advance to length that we are sure we need.
Action: Andreas will bring 10 straps to secure the stalls

Item 2: ORGANISING THE COLLECTIVE CONSTRUCTION

To discuss: HOW WILL WE COORDINATE PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT SKILLS?
Discussed: Andreas and public works prepared a dummy of a book with all the instructions necessary to build the stalls. The book contains models of blocks of 4 stalls in different combinations based on the Enzo Mari table design. Tarpaulins (size 270x350cm) mark the size of each cluster of stalls are an essential part of the design. They can also be used to join stalls in different ways. Different heights will form table-like and bench-like structures. Different surfaces will encourage different transactions. The book is beautiful! It also contains a diagram that will help us place the stalls in a circle based on the hooks already existing in the Parade ground.

We plan to work everyday between 3rd and 10th July 10am-5pm or longer. On Fri 3rd July we will start construction by building 4 tables with MDF tops. We will draw diagrams of the various elements with measurements, angles and other details to use as reference. The tables will then be reused for stalls. Next, we will build a complete block of 4 stalls. Once we have done that, we can get the timber cut in the sizes that we are sure we need and have them ready for stallholders who are helping with the construction to use.

We will organise in teams of cutter, drillers, etc. People who have a sense of the whole plan should coordinate (Andreas? Neil C?). People who have a sense of the structure of the blocks of stalls should be in the assembling team, as they will be able to problem-solve effectively.

We decided to have tables with tools, water, food and sun protection in front of E block.

Everybody will lend they tools. Please label them properly.
Action: Kuba will coordinate the schedule, compiling a paper one and making sure that this is available every day. We will start the schedule at the next meeting on Tue 30th June.
Action: Andreas will compile the final version of the book with measurements.
Action: Various members of CP will print and bind the books in time to use them from Fri 3rd July.
Action: Marsha and Andreas will coordinate the positioning of stalls near the sockets in relation to their need for electricity.
Action: Amy will coordinate catering. Other CPers will take charge of food on the day depending on schedule.
Action: Karem has compiled a list of who is bringing which tools and will post it on the wiki.
Action: Angela will take charge of the first-aid box
Action: Angela will take charge of pets with water bowls
Action: Lee will coordinate with Helen and students in relation to the schedule.
Action: Andreas will repurpose the instruction book to include traces of the construction of the market and models of the stalls after the event.

Item 3: REPURPOSING THE STALLS AFTER THE MARKET

To discuss:TACTICS AND IDEAS
Discussed: The stalls are designed so that after the market, we can saw off the long parts and have beautiful pieces of furniture. We need to include 12th and 13th July in our plans to dismantle and take away the furniture or repurpose as 'street furniture'.
Action: Cinzia to design a simple leaflet to invite stallholders to make offers for their or other stalls.
Action: We will also need signage to indicate that stalls can be claimed by anybody (Metod?)



return to Main Page



return to minutes