Minutes 09052014

From Critical Practice Chelsea
Revision as of 11:15, 15 May 2014 by Marsha (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

MINUTES

DATE Friday 9th May 2014
LOCATION 5:00 - 7:00, Chelsea College of Art and Design E-BLOCK, Millbank

Appoint chair: Metod

Appoint Minute Taker: Claire

In attendance: Neil, Metod, Claire, Amy and Marsha
Item 1: Evaluation, Consensus and Location Reflections?

To discuss: What worked; what didn't - other thoughts and reflections. Report back on the publication.

General: There were mixed feelings about Evaluation, Consensus and Location - some of us through it was amazing; others were more circumspect.
The event had aspects like a conference. Not everyone was comfortable with the conference style aspects, but this is something we're accustomed to. This was too small for either a workshop track or a conference track. Though people knew it wasn't a conference, upon arrival it was hard to get outside of the conference mindset.

Amy Butt's construction solution was really impressive.

There was some confusion around who was facilitating - and this connects to larger questions around how the event was structured. Neil felt as though it was very much a collaboration with the Utopographers - an opportunity for CP to advance it's research into value. Marsha agrees but felt a responsibility to host that translated into facilitating. It was a rocky start. We were late and things felt a bit chaotic - which was to be expected. A turning point came at mid-day on Friday when we drafted a schedule in plain view. If we weren't the facilitators, how will that impact the publication? Perceptions result in knock-on effects...

There was an interesting range of presentations - we liked Jill Belli's presentation, but there wasn't space to get down to the nitty gritty. And there was some confusion about the writing - it wasn't clear at the beginning that it would be 'exhibited'.

Take down worked well. It was cathartic.

Utopoly went ok/great - It offered a long time to engage in conversation and to struggle with the issues. Only one of the groups wasn't energetic. We should design the game before next year's event.

ACTION: Marsha to get a date in the diary to work on the game.

Afterlife: It's interesting that Kioka approached Marsha for a fashion awareness event to borrow some of the twine used - nice to think these materials will be recycled.

Publication: timing is a little delayed. Format is there. Some texts have been sent. Publication has 8-9 cards. A2 of the scribings. Wiki has images and descriptions of the workshops, if they will be in the publication, too. To capture the event it would be good to approach the publication like Parade. It's to all of our benefit if it's amazing. Now that it's a CP event this changes the publication.

ACTION: To write an introduction that's culled from the CP wiki.
ACTION: Metod will let group know which presenters are not yet represented in the cards.
ACTION: Neil to put forward any money left in his prof budget towards publication.


Some things we learned from Utopia: Evaluation, Consensus and Location
Time: There's value in respecting the timetable. Starting late means the organisers have to take the hit. One of the problems with starting late on the first day was that it set a precedent; there was tension on the second day owing to the expectation we'd have a more elastic timetable. How might this be avoided in future?

Working together - When the rubber hits the road, we're smokin': Critical Practice was well organised- we're well practiced at working together. Initially it was confusing what position Critical Practice was taking within the entire event. We have tacit knowledge, we know how to work together. A declaration of practice could be helpful. Restate aims and objectives as declaration of practice that we can give people to show how we can work with others. People who don't know our language perhaps didn't know how to intervene. We have shortcuts of communication that makes it hard for others to join in. We can meet and discuss for entire meetings, but when things need to happen we just do them.
Working with others...: It sometimes felt as though we were facilitating two different events. Witness the long email discussions about food, rather than scheduling. It was clear we had other priorities.


Item 2: Stephen Wright's workshop on usership, 20th June

To discuss: There was the possibility of doing this workshop on one of the boats in Chris Wainwright's flotilla. But would this dilute the focus? Would it perhaps make more sense for us to do run the workshop on dry land? Is there interest in combining this with a book launch and screening related to Stephen's little publication for AND?

Date confirmed - 20th June 2014. Should we do the workshop on one of Chris Wainwright's boats? There is a screening that night. Stephen is having a book on poaching launched with films about it that night by And. The boat could be better saved for the picnic. How should we use Stephen? This is about usership. Can we give him a direction for a workshop? Something about opportunism? Ask him about usership of moving image? '

ACTION: ask Stephen to do an all day event about usership. Offer to do the screening in the Green Room at Chelsea.
ACTION: Neil to touch base with And about the launch/screening
ACTION: Marsha to book Green Room for the whole day.

Item 3: Evaluation Screenings Season

To discuss: Where are we in Evaluation Screenings process? General reflections on the AIR screening. Amy to report on her and Catherine's work for upcoming ones

Amy provides a great slide show that helps us understand how the process is unfolding. One event on 24th May (Sat) at Bread and Roses, 5:30-8:30pm. Pub named after textile workers strike in Massachusetts. Screening there The Women of Brukman (2007). Banners (textiles) and applique- workshop talking about values at the beginning, and people make banners during the screening. Possibly learn cross-stitch? Could there be a second session to get all the activity in? Is there any food there?

Marsha reports on how things are developing with Basia. Basia's screening is still on the agenda. She's been in touch with group at Goldsmiths about night of YouTube screenings at The Common House. She can do this by the end of June. CP would need to pay for this. Marsha likes this idea. Watch this space.

ACTION: Marsha to follow up with Basia and get this event scheduled.
ACTION: Amy set up wiki page to come up with a name for the screenings.
ACTION: Amy to check and see if we can bring pot luck.Should the second part be formalised? Second screening: cycling cinemas. Cycle from Chelsea to CSM. 24/25th June. Outside space for a screening of Ladri di Biciclette (1948). DAC revolutionised how bikes are secured. Inverted Auction of Tournament of Evaluation? How to make it into a game? Generators attached to bikes to power the projectors. Teams seeing value shout it out and then swap cyclists to gain points. Chart of value and values as the film goes on.
ACTION: Metod to create e-flier for each screening ASAP. It will have an illustration (needle/thread, cycling). Could possibly use the old police station for a screening in Autumn.

AIR screening- address this at another meeting.

Item 4: Futurising the Curriculum: THIS IS HOW WE ROLL and THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY

To discuss: Marsha to intro what the project is about, where it's at and how CP might be involved.

Furturising the Curriculum - Claire Heford and Marsha put in successful funding bids from SEE/CLTAD. £5,000 total. This includes money for labour documenting the events. The events are cycling tours. Sustainability and Resilience 17th/18th June. Employability is 12th/13th June. Tours look at practices that exemplify these themes. Neil would like someone to document it using a specific GPS app. Documenting each tour is about 2 days work. Action: Marsha to send out an email to CP looking for expressions of interest from documentarians.
ACTION: Marsha to email around to determine who is interested.

Item 5: Funding

To discuss: Funding the market...or not...

CP needs to have a larger conversation about funding the farmer's market. There's no money and Baxter Story has a monopoly at Chelsea on fresh food sold during certain hours. The Market of Evaluation has £500. Do we want to do the market here? Kuba and Marsha have been talking to Hackney Wick about possibly havign the market there. It would have to happen in September or October, which is fast. Think about relocation? Is there a better place? We can do it in a park if we don't need to build much. Funding is still the fundamental question. Think about crowd funding. We need to learn to do this.

ACTION: revisit crowd-funding. Look at goteo.org. Need a bigger discussion around gathering resources.
ACTION: Schedule special meeting for funding the Market of Evaluation. Neil will do a doodle poll for a meeting date.
ACTION: Everyone agrees to bring one to three brilliant ideas for the funding meeting.

Item 6:

To discuss: Funding for The Practice Garden - request for £20.00

Money towards troughs for planting, flowers in railing baskets, anti-rust paint.
ACTION: go shopping.


Item 6: Any Other Business (AOB)

To discuss: Anything not on the agenda

Ping pong- CCW v. CSM.

Think about auctions...





here are the Meeting Agenda for 9th May 2014



return to Housekeeping